Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 running rich - faulty MAF

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 28 March 2006

Do you agree with me then Stu?

Daz
100% mate. There's no Porsches shown and where was the info about OBD2 (which is the American standard)

Well done Sherlock

Moderator, do your thing :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51270

Hi guys ,

Boy is this forum active! I didnt give details as I didnt want to sound like an advert. I have no connection with any of the sites below. I figured not many people knew you could connect a laptop to your 996 via odbii . It's great fun watching all the readouts and you can even do timed 1/4 miles.

I purchased the obdii connector from
www.obduk.co.uk
, the software is from
www.digimoto.com
and there is a free version of this. I found all this out by trawling/googling the internet.

You get access to fault codes and ecu self tests and can reset them (the check engine light), and various sensor readings like maf, o2 sensors, air temp, fuel trims, calculated load and the usual revs, mph, water temp. All cars sold into the US have to have odbII so porsche must have made the decision to integrate it into all regions.

I realise now it sounds too good to be true, I just wanted to share what I found out as I had to search long and hard for the info. I live in sunny sussex, honest!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51332

Lee,

the porsche part n0 is : 996.606.123.00

which original equipment is bosch part n0: 0 280 217 007

After year 2000 it is a different part which you must NOT fit as there are warnings in the workshop manual to say they are not interchangeable.

Hope your car is better soon, I hated it when my 'baby' which I have owned from new started misbehaving at high revs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51334

Previous poster said:

I might be wrong, however it also seems to have been written by an American, if you read thats the way it appears.

Daz
Oh No! , maybe I spend too much time programming using microsoft technologies so that I now write with an american drawl.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51336

cheers for that, will check tonight.

i get a bit american sometimes also.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51339

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Lee Bollom on 28 March 2006

also, there doesn't seem to be Porsche listed on that website you quote?
strangely there is no link from the website home page for porsche. If you search for 'porsche 996 workshop manual' at
www.google.com
the top sponsored link takes you to the download page for the manual (its 600M big!). This worked for me last month.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51367

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 28 March 2006

Previous poster said:

Do you agree with me then Stu?

Daz
100% mate. There's no Porsches shown and where was the info about OBD2 (which is the American standard)

Well done Sherlock

Moderator, do your thing :roll:
you guys need spoon feeding... there is not a direct link from the home page of the workshop manual site. Try searching on google.com for 'porsche 996 workshop manual' and the first sponsored link should be the download page for the workshop manual. Enjoy....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51451

Dean, if I am wrong I appologise, however I find it odd that you perwerver with this thread, dont try and introduce yourself tell us about your car or anything like any new member would normally.

So reward my good faith with a few pics of your car and a spec and some details, so that we can all get to know you.

We have many coming to this forum with agendas to sell things, and it really gets on peoples nerves, if you genuinley are trying to join the banter then great, but tell us a little about yourself.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51453

I'm still not convinced. I have both the OBDII and the EOBD hardware and the software and ditto foe EOBD.

Categorically, OBDII does not work with my car but EOBD does.

Dean, there's a few of us meeting up this weekend in North Sussex/South Surrey. Here's your chance to join in.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51468

Ooops, too much vino. I have h'ware & software for both

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51470

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 29 March 2006

I'm still not convinced. I have both the OBDII and the EOBD hardware and the software and ditto foe EOBD.

Categorically, OBDII does not work with my car but EOBD does.

Dean, there's a few of us meeting up this weekend in North Sussex/South Surrey. Here's your chance to join in.
Hi there,

maybe I knew too little about this to not try it and it worked. I Think I would only get generic odbII fault codes but there is software from the states that says they have reverse engineered the porsche fault and diagnosis codes (i'll save that for when I need it ). The odbII connector is actually only a rs232 port (only 3 wires used or somesuch? like you get on most computers) only it has to be 12 volts , not the normal 5 volts. The obdii protocol deals with how your laptop starts conversing with the car and then once the conversation starts its just bytes man going to and fro, each with a special meaning (like everything is lol). From the serial number of my car the control module is a RoW (rest of world) control module, not an OBDII one, but it does the obdII stuff?

Anyhow enough of this Im a happy bunny now my car is fixed, I was just trying to alert other owners to what is possible and what I think will be a common 996 component to fail i.e. the early version of the MAF. I also read that the O2 sensors in may car (bosch ones) have a life of about 100K miles. Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51715

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 29 March 2006

Dean, if I am wrong I appologise, however I find it odd that you perwerver with this thread, dont try and introduce yourself tell us about your car or anything like any new member would normally.

So reward my good faith with a few pics of your car and a spec and some details, so that we can all get to know you.

We have many coming to this forum with agendas to sell things, and it really gets on peoples nerves, if you genuinley are trying to join the banter then great, but tell us a little about yourself.

Daz
Thanks Daz,

My porsche history is quite boring actually, In 1998 I became stupidly rich by selling my company. I imported a boxter from germany that week to skip the 18 month waiting list and ordered the new 996 c2 cab. The boxter was a bit 'girlie' (huge apologies to male owners) so I only kept it for a year. My 996 arrived 3 months after order and I have never been tempted to change perfection. I love the power oversteer and direct feel of the steering. Purists would now say I should have a coupe, gt2 or turbo but my backgound is motorbikes and I have always liked open air motoring.

carsnbikessmall.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51723

Dean - do you have a bigger picture?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51746

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 31 March 2006

Dean - do you have a bigger picture?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51747

oops

yeah you can have the uncompressed version :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51748

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back