Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MAF and air leaks

Lee Bollom

Monza
Got a small problem with the 996, as previously found by Porsche a few weeks ago, since the service last week its got a little worse.

Basically the MAF is playing up (either needs a new one or needs cleaning)

Going to give the MAF a good clean this wk end but if i need to replace it, anyone know how much a new one is?

Also, anyone else had this? its a stuttering when you try to accelerate in a high gear at low revs.

I'm aware it could be an air leek, any common areas for air leeks which would cause this?

thanks

Lee

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50097

i would def say it was an air mass meter. they are about 250 quid with half an hour labour - btw did you go to an OPC?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50104

i thought it was, i had this on my s4 a year or so ago and it felt the same.

Yeh, the cars been to two OPCs, one in kent quoted £450 for supply and fit and hatfield didn't quote me a replacement price, instead they quoted an investigation only, subject to more costs of £116.

I can fit one no problem, its dead easy, i will give the original a good clean in alcohol this week end and see if that works, if not i'll be ordering the part.

TBH, not really been impressed with either OPC, the original quote for the service was £625 at Hatfield plus £100 for a set of new locking nuts (£40 suply £60 fit), ended up with a bill for nearly £1000, and then managed to negotiate it down plus 10% discount from being in PCGB resulted in £856. Apparently spark plugs and belts aren't included in a full "major" service. I'd hate to see what they replace if it was a "minor" service.

Another question, do they accept the old unit in exchange for a reconditioned MAF? Audi did this with my s4 one.

Plus i've had varying quotes for the cam seals need replacing (tiny leak but needs doing for warranty) £500 kent or £886 in Hatfield (i could go down and stay in a nice hotel and have it done ;-) )

i think i'll need to negotiate ;-)

It seems that they don't spend the time getting the quote exactly right and end up charging more anyway and most customers I bet end up paying up regardless.

Shouldn't moan too much, they did pick my car up and drop it home and the engine feels loads better after the service.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50116

MAF is not an exchange unit. plugs and belts are part of 48k service approx £800

is it just the cam covers leaking? does it seem to be coming out the cam cover bolt heads? if so you can just remove the bolts and reseal each individual thread with silicone.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50123

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 911doctor on 21 March 2006

MAF is not an exchange unit. plugs and belts are part of 48k service approx £800

is it just the cam covers leaking? does it seem to be coming out the cam cover bolt heads? if so you can just remove the bolts and reseal each individual thread with silicone.

MAF - ok, thanks. 48k service - sounds like I got a bargain then, but looks like they're quotes are not complete.

cam covers - i'm not sure, i personally haven't looked in detail, if it is the bolts how do i undo them? i assume they're at the top of the engine and I can't imagine i can get at them from the back of the car?

thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50129

its a flat six so are on the side - they are just 10mm bolts - do one at a time as the camcover also holds the cams in place

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50132

I had to get the RH bank cam cover done in order to get the warranty too. Quoted £550 all in but then they sheared off a head bolt so the precision engineer cost £55 more. However, they looked on the system and saw that the car had a new cylinder head 23 months previously and so it was done for free as all work is guaranteed for 24 months. Result!. So be careful removing the head bolts if you need to!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50134

thanks for the info phil, will probably leave it to the experts but will have a look over the wk end.

911 doctor - I've just reserved a new MAF (figured my cleaning the MAF probably isn't a good long term fix anyway) at Hatfield OPC and they're going to charge me £275.80 plus VAT (£324.06), am I getting ripped off? or is this the standard price?

Haven't paid anything yet, going to pick it up on saturday morning.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50447

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Lee Bollom on 21 March 2006

plus £100 for a set of new locking nuts (£40 suply £60 fit

60 pounds to fit a set of locking wheel nuts???? That is mental. :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50460

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 23 March 2006

Previous poster said:

i know, but i paid it on the basis that I didn't have the old locking key and hence there was no way I could have got the wheels off. If I had the locking key then fair enough its a five minute job and I'd have done it no problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50513

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Lee Bollom on 23 March 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 23 March 2006

Previous poster said:

i know, but i paid it on the basis that I didn't have the old locking key and hence there was no way I could have got the wheels off. If I had the locking key then fair enough its a five minute job and I'd have done it no problem.
ahhh - ok - they had to remove a set without the key - fair enough.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50514

oh *****, fitted the new MAF today.

Its even worse than it was before!!

Any ideas?

I've checked the air pipe which connects the throttle body to the air box and it appears fine to me. Don't think there;s any air leaks.

Where else should I be looking?

I'm fed up and lost on what to do.

Was impressed with the Hatfield show room though ;-)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50845

Take to JZ who really know what they're doing?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50853

try and get them to put the system tester on it - see if theres any faults

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50989

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back