Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 ignition problems

Jay T

Barcelona
If I make a short journey (a mile or so) and park up, I seem to have occational problems re-starting the engine if I return within 10 minutes or so. It always fires up after about 4 attempts (and a few deep breaths) though.

Other than that, it runs just fine, and always starts from cold.

Anyone else experiencing this with their early 996s?

Thanks, Jay

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49093

No problems like this with mine (although its a 2001). When you say problems re-starting is the car turning over or is it like the immoboliser is engaged ie nothing happens at all?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49099

Thanks for the reply Chris. No immoboliser problems, the engine turns over, but initially fails to start.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49106

Ummm - sounds like you need to do a straight swap for an '87 cabriolet - fortunately I know a chap who has one....

but seriously - sounds like the engine management systems are being fooled by the just-off-cold engine - what's the mileage ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49130

You know, if I were allowed 2 911s (its been made perfectly clear that I'm not!), I would also have a late 3.2. The iconic 911 shape.

Current mileage is around 32K.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49145

Hope you get it sorted - that kind of intermittent stuff can drive you nuts...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49168

A friend of mine used to have a similar problem with a Lotus Esprit V8. It was new at the time and everytime he turned it off he would have to wait to restart it. I once pulled up on a yellow line, turned the car off, it wouldn't restart. It was clear that it wouldn't start with the engine just turning over and a traffic warden wrote me out a ticket while i was trying to start it and on the phone to Lotus!! :evil:

I think it was something to do with the ECU and they had to replace it.

I got out of the ticket :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49170

Sod it. I'm late picking up the kids. Damn this forum. Gonna have to use the car. Short journey coming up ...

Wish me luck!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49195

Sounds like 'monday morning syndrome' to me.... so called cos cars that were started up, driven out of the garage then washed and put back in on Sunday didn't start on monday.

Manifests itself on cars that are driven a v short distance from cold, then switched off.

Basically, the lambda sensors in the exhaust (?) cause the engine to overfuel on start up the second time, so it floods...

To avoid it, make sure there is a reasonable temp showing on the temp gauge before switching off.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49200

RobertB - am I also right in thinking that in this situation, holding the revs at say, 2-3000 for a second or two and turning off the engine whilst still revving, purges the cylinders ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49215

That makes sense. Thanks Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49217

Mine (1998 C2) does exactly the same thing. Although I've no idea what it is, it doesn't seem to cause a problem. I think it has something to do with the engine management as the oil time is always at 8 or 9 minutes when the issue occurs.
I am due to get the car serviced in the next two weeks so I'll ask the guys what they think and let you know.

Matt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49409

Thanks Matt.

As you say it doesn't seem to be a major problem. Though it does worry me that one day I'll have to be towed away from outside my kid's school :oops:

Let us know how you get on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49678

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Alex Skinner on 15 March 2006

RobertB - am I also right in thinking that in this situation, holding the revs at say, 2-3000 for a second or two and turning off the engine whilst still revving, purges the cylinders ?
Don't know... I try to make sure there is some meaningful heat showing on the temp gauge before switching off.

The RAC man who came round to start my XK8 one morning a while ago that had this prob did the following; removed fuel injection fuse then asked me to crank the engine for a few secs until you could hear it trying to fire. This was to avoid unburnt fuel getting in the cats and damaging them.

Then he put the fuse back in, and asked me to crank the engine with the accelerator flat out- after a little while the engine will start to fire, and of course you have to be careful to take some of the throttle off when the engine fires if you don't like revving cold engines... but don't let it stall or you're back to square one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50337

Had exactly the same problem with mine as well, 8 or 9 minutes on the oil gauge, engine turning over fine, just not starting....I think its deffo to do with a short journey...this happened when I drove to the pub at lunch, about a 3 minute drive, came out after lunch, wouldn't start....waited 10 mins and it started fine...I vote for engine management logic gremlins....

Steve

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50432

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back