Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pitfalls of Low Millage Car

I tend to Agree SF, but I still think Porsche will depreciate less severely than the competition, the countryside is littered with the arms and legs of BMW & Jaguar owners.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49162

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 15 March 2006

I dont think it will go that way, as the 996 becomes cheaper and cheaper more people who are new to the marque will go for it over the 993/964 cos of the price and the fact they get a far more modern car for their money.
More and more 2nd hand Porsches on the market now and therefore many of the buyers will not be traditional Porsche buyers. They will absolutely go for the 996. When looking at what they are prepared to pay for a 996 they will take into account what they can buy a 2nd hand BMW, Merc, etc for and consider 996 as good / bad value on this comparison.

What will effect the market for the older cars is how much demand does the 996 take away from the older cars. I don't think it is a simple as assuming buyers will automatically be making a choice between a 996 and earlier aircooled Porsche.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49172

Previous poster said:

I dont think it will go that way, as the 996 becomes cheaper and cheaper more people who are new to the marque will go for it over the 993/964 cos of the price and the fact they get a far more modern car for their money.Only one thing for certain Porsches are now in real world depreciation, terirory they have never been in before.Daz
The 996 and 993 are completely different cars. There is a clear evolutionary bloodline between the 911-964-993, but the 996 is a different kettle of fish- far more refined and easy to drive, more competent and quicker in every respect, but not as much of a character. The 996 defo has an (undeserved, but a reputation nonetheless) reputation for poor build which the 993s do not.

The 993 has become a classic. The 996 will just become old.

I can for example imagine someone (I wish) owning a 993 for the weekends, and a 996 C4 for the daily driver. I cannot however imagine owning a 996 C2/C4 for the weekends and a 997 as a daily driver and that is the critical difference.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49178

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 15 March 2006

The 993 has become a classic. The 996 will just become old.

I can for example imagine someone (I wish) owning a 993 for the weekends, and a 996 C4 for the daily driver. I cannot however imagine owning a 996 C2/C4 for the weekends and a 997 as a daily driver and that is the critical difference.
While I see your point - I'm not sure I agree with the logic. The reason you wouldn't have a 996 as a weekend and a 997 for a daily is because the cars are more similar than the 996/993 comparison. Who really wants two cars so similar!

I agree that there are too many 996's on the road for it in general to become a classic - but certain variants of it will (GT2 - if there are any left, GT3 RS). Just like only some varaints of the 993's are real classics.

So enough with the 996 bashing :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49184

I wasn't bashing 996s, I think they're great cars. 8)

My logic is simply that the 996 and 993 are too different to be comparable, i.e. the values aren't related.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49198

Previous poster said:

My logic is simply that the 996 and 993 are too different to be comparable, i.e. the values aren't related.

It isnt going to keep me awake at night, Ive owned both and they are both great cars, mine is just faster and better handling

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49235

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:

It isnt going to keep me awake at night, Ive owned both and they are both great cars, mine is just faster and better handling

Daz
LOL

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49243

i remain sceptical, i think some of the depreciation i created from our own market (ie. these forums and from our discussions) there is a general message begin sent out to everyone that the 993 is a classic and the 996 is common.

to answer the guys original question :-

the porsche inspection solves everything because it means you'll find out what car you're buying, you could find a low mileage car thats got lots of bills or similarly a high mileage car with no bills.

the £235 check will save you a lot of hassle, if its the wrong car then pay the £235 and move on. If its the right car, then you've had a check over by people that are looking for faults ie. being picky and plus if you go for the warranty you'll be covered should anything bad happen.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49375

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Lee Bollom on 16 March 2006

(ie. these forums and from our discussions) there is a general message begin sent out to everyone that the 993 is a classic and the 996 is common.
but the 993 IS a classic............................... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49376

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 16 March 2006

Previous poster said:
(ie. these IS a classic............................... :wink:
Stop stirring!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49382

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 16 March 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Lee Bollom on 16 March 2006

(ie. these forums and from our discussions) there is a general message begin sent out to everyone that the 993 is a classic and the 996 is common.
but the 993 IS a classic............................... :wink:

yeh, but the 996 IS a great modern sports car. The 993 harks back to the 70s :wink:

ok, i am just winding you up now. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49395

Maybe its a bit simplistic, but 911's seem to stop at £10k. Other marques dont do that. Set your target for something nice in the pre 3.2 age and you're still talking £10k or more. ( and thats for a car more than 20 years old) and that also includes RHD/LHD etc etc. 911's definitely do not depreciate at the same rate as other marques as my long list of 4X4 cars will attest to. With 996 and 993 prices converging, the choice is down to what you want from the car. I agree that buyers not overly concerned about 'raw experience' would plum for 996, as at the end of the day, its still a Porsche 911. I'm comfortable, even in LHD form, that my C4S is not depreciating at anything like what I would have seen for RHD XKS, Merc, BMW etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49417

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back