Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Interior - are they all bad?

Piers

This may seem a bit odd but I went to see a 98 996 today really just to check on the rear space for the 3 year old, which as it happens was ok. But I hadn't been in a 996 before and I was a bit shocked by the interior. Is the quality of the plastics that bad on all 996s? It was all really hard to touch and looked it too. This was in a car with grey leather. Another car, with kinda red leather had colour coded plastics, still very hard to the touch but didn't look as bad. I have to say I was slightly taken aback. I hadn't seen interior plastics that poor looking for some time. Ok, the dials looked nice and the door handles and door releases were very nice, but the rest of it made me serious wonder whether I was looking at the right car. Don't get me wrong, I'm not after supreme luxury but I just had this feeling that if I ever gave anyone a lift I'd have to make excuses for the interior. I think my jap saloon is better, and thats a bit of an insult.

Are there particular colour combinations that look 'better' than other. The one today that looked poor was kid of a light sparkly graphite colour.

LoFi

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47801

Black is always a winner,

Agree that the interior is rather poor, but Porsche have always lagged behind others with interior and electrical.

997 is a vast improvement.

Audi TT is a nicer place to be, especilly with baseball stiching (if that your thing).

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47802

Previous poster said:
Quote: Audi TT is a nicer place to be, especilly with baseball stiching (if that your thing).
Daz
:D
You're kidding of course!

Haven't seen a black interior yet, although it is now firmly top of my spec list.

Piers LoFi

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47818

Piers, which plastic parts are you talking about? Have you looked at the face lift 996 3.6 its a much better car all round, more power better interior, and IMO nicer looking!.

PS..Excuse Dazs TT comment he must be having a moment :wink:

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47819

Ok so now we need a SARCASM emoticon :wink:

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47820

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 911Silverback on 04 March 2006
Piers, which plastic parts are you talking about?

The console between the seats and the sections holding the side fascia vents were the bits I noticed most. The wife, coming from her SAAB 93, was not impressed (which hasn't helped! :wink:

What year am I looking at for a face lift car? I didn't realise there were exterior changes bar the clear lights (but all 98/99 cars seem to have these fitted)

Piers LoFi

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47821

He does have a point about the TT interior.I have a 997 carrera s cabriolet and my partner a tt 225 coupe.In the tt the door handles,stereo cover glovebox strip and airvents are brushed aluminium whereas Porsche uses aluminium PAINT!!!-and thats on the 997 which is supposed to be a step forward in cabin quality!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47856

Another thing is the exhaust tips on my 5 month old 997 are pitted and look awful whereas the polished ones(which were standard) on the 3 year old tt are still like new!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47862

Hi

I have just picked up a 98 996 C2, and would agree that the plastic used inside is bloody awful, the rocker switches feel like they have come off a toy, the centre section between the front seats looks and the air vents feel like it cost about 3p to produce, and the 'feel' of the indicator and w/w stalks remind me of a 70's British Leyland car, however, the console and doors are nicely finished in stitched leather.

And as soon as you start it up and get going you soon forgive all that..;-))

Steve

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47897

postamble();

get one with all leather trim (i.e. dash also in leather)....looks fine..

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47900

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by decompressing on 06 March 2006

<SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();

Marc
I certainly have no complaints with the interior of my 996 facelift with the full leather option I collected at the weekend. I did like the interior of the 993 which was for me part of the car's character but now I've got the 996 home and got a proper feel for it I can honestly say its a vast improvement.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47904

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by decompressing on 06 March 2006

<SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();

Marc
Agree, I've also got a lot of CF inside which I feel improves the look & feel. I'd always felt the sill entry guards looked cheap & tacky, fortunately mine had the CF guards which are good. The rear centre console is not the classiest piece of work & I'd thought about switching it for a CF one till I saw the cost.

By the way does anyone else get irritated by the stowage box in the rear centre console popping up by mistake because you rest your elbow on the centre console and accidently hit the button?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47947

Not got a problem with the centre console, however get loads of creaks from the front passenger seat when it isnt sat in.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47950

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 06 March 2006

Not got a problem with the centre console, however get loads of creaks from the front passenger seat when it isnt sat in.Daz
Oh yeah forgot the creaks from the dash, when it's cold...and the 'twangs' from the suspension on full lock.....and the noise from the LSD....and the engine that sounds like a tin of nails when cold starting.....oh and the difficult gearbox when cold.....really does sound like a heap of junk, doesn't it!! :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47953

Ahh but its worth it :lol:

BTW, I am doing an experiment to see what I can acheive over 100 miles mpg, If I drive like an Angel :oops:

So far done 10 miles and on 28.5 mpg.

Very light foot,

however havent done any long journeys yet, anybody fancy a sweepstake on the results, should know by wednesday.

I am bidding I can do 33 mpg.

Honesty and big boy rules apply, I will not tell fibs,

Daz :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47957

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back