Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox

simon levy

Am I just unlucky or are all Porsche's plagued with problems? I have been through the usual brands, Audi, BMW and Mercedes and finally got the car of my dreams! Now on my second 996, not event 4 years old with less than 30,000 on the clock and it goes back and forth to the garage for one fault or another.

My biggest concern is my gearbox which when cold is very heavy and changing from first to second requires excessive force and at times when you have engaged second, will pop out into neutral on its own accord. Has anyone else encountered anything like this? Having looked at the potential cost of a new gearbox does anyone know what the problem might be (second gear syncro mesh for example), can the gearbox be fixed and if so where?

In addition, i am now gathering a nice pool of oil on my driveway. I have read stories about RMS. Could this be affecting the gearbox or is it another problem to go along with my faulty power steering (see alternative forum discussion) and my newly developed chirping engine which sounds like the starlings have roosted in.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44055

Hi,

I also had a lot of problems with gearbox last year (993). Basically, gears started to stiffen up, particularly when started car. However, everyone said that this is a common problem for 993's and that once warmed up it improves. This was generally true but eventually it got so bad that I couldn't get into gear unless I put it there before turning the engine on. First trip to garage and they said it was the master / slave cyliners. Healthy bill for that. A few months later the same problem came back. This time they said that when a new Clutch was put on it before I bought it, they had forgotten to change the clutch fork. End result was new clutch and all the bells & whistles. Very healthy bill. Problem now sorted but on very cold days it's a little stiff when start off - think this is normal though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44056

Simon,

I have learned all that you are experiencing the hard way also, with my first 996, clutch and small bits and pieces and then my 993 clutch, gearbox, slave cylinder, brakes etc etc.

I had never owned a porsche untill 5 years ago, and thought naievly that they would be a sort of BMW version of Ferrari, you know ultra image and relaiability etc etc, whilst this isnt the case I have learned that in comparison to all other sports cars, Lambo, Ferrari, Jag etc etc they are the best for reliability and build quality, however still not in the same league as BMW and Audi.

My personal opinion on what has happened and why you see an increase in people moaning etc re relaibility is because the increasing affordability of these cars to the public and also the increased number of people using them as everyday cars.

If you go back 10 years ago, you could buy a 10 year old 911 run it for a couple of years and sell it for almost what you paid for it, with mass production those days have gone. The type of person that drove 911's years ago have changed, a large (not all) number of drivers going back 10 - 30 years ago bought the cars and kept them in the garage and used them occasionaly, and as a result problems were kept to a minimum. Also these people often had owned other prestige cars visa ve Ferrari/Maserati and the ownership and of 911's was a lot easier and cheaper than these, talk to any Ferrari owner re repairs and servicing cost, even infrequent use of a Ferrari costs three times more to maintain than a porsche used as a daily driver. So as a result these people were more tolerent of problems.

Now fast forward today, we drive the cars every day we have an increased expectation for quality reliability etc mostly because of the huge strides even the common Mondeo has made in these areas. The truth is that they are built to go fast stop well and handle well, all the things that most modern cars do not have to suffer and as a result you are putting a far bigger strain on everything and will unfortunatelly have problems.

Many of todays Porsche owners have stepped straight from BMW's Audi's etc in to a 911 and expect more of the same, and find it galling when they start having to pay the big bills assosiated with ownership (I know because this is waht happened to me with my first couple) where as if we had gone from Italian exotica into the porsche, you would breathe a huge sigh of releif.

So the moral of the story, for me anyhow, porsches great cars, best of their peer group but not a BMW 3 series or Audi A6.

So as misreable your problems make you, perservere because it is worth it.

Darren.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44065

Totally agree with you Daz. As it is the evreyday sports car and probably one of the only ones issues are going to arrise every so often and when they do they can be somewhat more expensive than BMW and Audi mainly due to less numbers out there which affects the cost of parts.

Mine has cost a bit over the last year but everything is done and the difference and grin factor were worth the initial outlay. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44073

Still on for the meet in Bristol, is it still on,

Regards,

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44078

Darren,

Thanks for the feedback. I always knew costs would be higher for rectifying problems or even paying for basic wear and tear. What i do not understand is why when you buy a premium product so many things go wrong. Surely part of the expense in buying car of a relatively high value should be the peace of mind that it is built to the highest of standards. I will persevere and keep dropping the windows every time i go through a tunnel just to keep that cheshire cat grin!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44081

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by simon levy on 26 January 2006
Darren,
Thanks for the feedback. I always knew costs would be higher for rectifying problems or even paying for basic wear and tear. What i do not understand is why when you buy a premium product so many things go wrong. Surely part of the expense in buying car of a relatively high value should be the peace of mind that it is built to the highest of standards. I will persevere and keep dropping the windows every time i go through a tunnel just to keep that cheshire cat grin!

What I didnt realise is how much higher the cost was, and again a premium product within its peer group.

I would advise any person buying a 996 over 3 years old and using it daily that they are going to spend at least £8k over 4 years of ownership on repairs and servicing. That could be 6k 1ist year and then nothing for a couple of years, just the way that it falls.

I budget for £2k a year on mine and it is under wtty, and I dont use it daily, and it is low milage.

However if I dont spend the 2k year one, I may spend 4k year 2.

Regards,

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44082

Simon, sorry, probably being stupid but gotta ask, 996 Anne Robinson...qué?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44083

:wink:
no wonder, your face is an improvment!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44091

hi ....

does your 2nd gear get better when the box is warm say after 10 miles.....

i can repair that gearbox for you if interested am located in the cheshire area..

thanks

michael

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44832

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back