Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Loose ends near battery

ami

Trainee
Hi

Hope someone can help me here. I decided to buy a new battery, so removed the existing one at the weekend. When I went to put the new battery in, I noticed two extra cables near the battery bay:

1) One is a clear rubber tube, can't see where it leads to, but don't know what the hell it is - could it be some sort of drainage pipe, but then if so, where should it end up?

2) The other is a cable with a screw on the end, the cable runs along the front inside line of the luggage compartment, but again, i don't know where it ends ups. I'm not sure where this is supposed to be screwed, but at the moment, the dangling screw is near the postive cable of the battery. I thought it may be some sort of earthing for a previous owners amp perhaps. But as I know *** all about electrics, I can't be sure of this.

I can't now drive my car, as the two problems are bugging me, and I can't justify calling a mechanic over to have a look, as it may be a simple set of issues. I also don't want to connect tyhe battery, in case I dislodged something vital when I took the battery out.

I am therefore Porsche-less unless someone can help.

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42327

Number 1 is a vent tube for the battery. Not all batteries need this especially if its a sealed battery. Nothing to worry about if there is no where to connect it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42328

one down, one to go ..

thanks Ian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42330

I'll take one tonight, and try and upload it.

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42343

can't find camera, so hoping this description helps:

The extra cable that I mention, has a screw on the end. Now when I disconnected the battery, I didn't pay much attention to where the screw that was holding the cable to the battery went. When it came to connecting the negative terminal, I have a screw and bolt, so no problem. For the positive terminal, I have no screw (thinking I must have lost it). Now I'm thinking that the cable with the screw was holding the original cable to the battery. The cable with the screw, well, the cable seems to go towards the front wheel arches within the luggage bay, i.e seems to split in two, and go left and right.

If you are not confused by now, and can make any sense of what I'm going on about, I would love to know what to do

thanks

Desperate to drive this weekend :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42536

there's a 'xenon on ebay' post here somewhere, if you look at page4 of that post and refer to picture posted by perry. Well the cable that I refer to with the screw attached is the black one that seems to be attached to the side of the car, covered by some black protective coating. It then goes into the rubber seal in the photo. So could this be attached to the battery?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42541

quite possible - does it have a self tapping screw or a 6mm bolt attached to it?

is there anyway of tracing it back? is the wire coloured?

i'm sure if were an earth wire it would be attached to the body somewhere visable like the brown wire in that picture.

i suppose you could always attach it, if it doesn't smoke it will be fine! :(
lol

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42587

Hi Doctor,

It's a bolt. The wire is covered with a black covering, so I'm not sure of the colour. It's tricky to trace it back, as the cable is kind of bundled together with other cable within the black coating, so not exactly sure where the one I'm worried about goes. It looks like it goes to each of the front lights like in the picture?

thanks for your help.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42589

with the positive battery terminal connected and the spare wire left disconnected, do the lights work?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42590

I'll give it a try when I get home from work. It does sound like an obvious check, but I was too uncertain to give it a try before, in case I short circuited something.

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42599

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ian_uk on 10 January 2006

Number 1 is a vent tube for the battery. Not all batteries need this especially if its a sealed battery. Nothing to worry about if there is no where to connect it.
when I 1st got my 993 I came across this tube and spend months wondering what it was for, until my elderly uncle advised me and was rather surprised to see it on my car ! but at least we had a good chukkle about not so modern porsche design...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42647

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back