Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Axle Whine

will do, thanks for the helpful pointers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41596

Tom - not sure where you are in the "smoke", but i would try Northway - they wont spend your money recklessly - they are near Reading.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41598

cheers Warren I am a out of town at the moment but will probably take it to Charles Ivey Fulham - unless anyone has heard otherwise bad reports

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41599

I too have noticed a whine when i accelerate. After a lengthy investigation i discovered that the whine only occured when my wife was sat next to me!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42424

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by simon levy on 11 January 2006

I too have noticed a whine when i accelerate. After a lengthy investigation i discovered that the whine only occured when my wife was sat next to me!
lol :D

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42427

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Tom Mason on 04 January 2006

cheers Warren I am a out of town at the moment but will probably take it to Charles Ivey Fulham - unless anyone has heard otherwise bad reports
Chelsea Carrera? From what I've heard I'd be more inclined to go for them than Ivey. I assume they do 996s...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42431

Nice one Simon!

Tom, I felt 'taken' when I took the 993 there - they offer a fixed price service and then come up with loads of extras - like £100 to unblock the windscreen washers and crap like "you have a very slight oil weep from one of the heads, so if we fix that now then we can change the clutch at the same time and the rear discs which only have another 5-10k left on them" - yeah, right!

I have never been to Chelsea Carrera, but they have frequently been recommended on these pages and elsewhere.

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42440

Does the whine occur only when your air con is on? I had this problem and needed to get a re-gas. I recall a question posed by a reader in a well known publication that i will try and dig out. i'm sure it mentioned checking the air con/ventialtion. debris build up on the intakes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42608

Hey Tom, When are you sending the old girl in?

very interested to see what they say.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42610

I have just dropped it in and it is not the clutch possibly the gearbox!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43407

Oh...I hope all goes well. Mine is in tomorrow for an inspection before they put a warranty on...I think I will leave the radio on loud so they cant hear any noises!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43411

A bearing has gone in the gearbox. apparently very rare and could be very expensive!! New gearboxes are £6k recon at about £2-2,500. Lets hope they can repair/replace the parts that have broken. I am now considering ending my affair with Porsche and moving to the new Jag XK!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43529

I just got back from my pre warranty inspection too. He said I have an oil leak on the cam cover so I have booked in to gave that done.(£500). However, he never noticed my axle whine or my broken electric mirrors. So thats a bonus. Going in week after next for the seal though. Let us know how you do get on Tom.
new Jag is lovely looking but its a bit of cruiser don't you think?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43536

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back