Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cabin Full of Smoke

bob.steigers

Hi all,

I was just driving down the road in my 993 today, suddenly thick acrid smoke began pouring out out of the air vents. I stopped, and had to evacuate the car of my 2 year old sitting in the baby seat, as i thought there was a serious fire. A kind driver even stopped and approached with a fire extinguisher, the smoke was so bad.

It stopped after about 5 mins, and i decided to get the car home - with no futher incidents.

I was driving slowly, and had been for the whole journey, as we were in town. I think it may have happened just as I lowered the temp setting on the climate control. The car sems fine now, but still a bit smelly, maybe just the residual smell from before.

Anyone had any similar experience? any one know what might be going on?

Regards

Bob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41420

Now i'm not 100% sure

But i remember hearing about how oild can leak into the system or somthing

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41422

If oil gets onto the exhaust through clumsy topping up and/or faulty heat shields, that can cause smoke to come from the vents. But this sounds different and maybe more serious... What colour was the smoke?

I'd get the car seen to soonish...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41441

Thanks for the reply. The smoke was light grey. I'm pretty sure it was burning oil. I've noticed today that the right hand silencer looks oily, could the oil resevior have overflowed? it is reading slightly high on the oil level.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41452

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by bob.steigers on 01 January 2006

could the oil resevior have overflowed? it is reading slightly high on the oil level.
Maybe you've overfilled with oil...? Check out the handbook re procedure... Warm oil after a drive, check with car on the level, wait a few mins - even 5 - before checking via dipstick and dash gauge (but the dipstick level is 100% reliable...)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41457

Thanks for your advice everyone, Turns out it was an oil, as everyone who replied thought. - both cam covers were leaking oil onto the heat exchangers!

all sorted now

cheers bob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42505

good to see it got sorted

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42525

I had exactly the same thing happen with my car, I thought it was a fire during a track day. Turned out to be both lower valve covers leaking onto the exhaust.

How much did it cost you to fix?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43438

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by bob.steigers on 20 January 2006

:(
I went to an OPC - it was about £500 :(

bob

I had the same symptoms recently and it was diagnosed as the same problem. Mine cost £400 at an indepedent. This included new cam covers as apparently they are prone to warp and leak again. Cost broke down to approximately half for labour and half for parts.

pp

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44270

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back