Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 997

Christopher

Hello to all....I'm new here and planning a new 997. I'd like a bit of advice as to which one would be best for some london driving (sleepy policeman, potholes...), some motorway/A roads journeys (about 275 miles) and some driving on very narrow cornish lanes. Comfort is an important point otherwise I'll hear lots of complaints...and I could afford from a basic C2 to a C4S (maybe...)

Tanks for your help

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41089

Hi Chris, very nice position to be in. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference sitting inside and driving a new 997 what model it is. From what i hear a C2 is a very very good car and probably best value, test drive as many models as poss and see what you think.

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41103

As Rob says, you are best off driving a few and seeing what suits you - I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of the 997 range. However, you may find it much easier to purchase a used 997 C2 or C2S, whereas the C4 or C4S may be harder to come by (and relatively more expensive) on the second hand market.

Good Luck !

Sidicks

PS - Which Cornish lanes..........??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41109

Personal choice? the C2S then the C2.

I know thats not every ones view but hey we are all individuals

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41118

one of my close friends has a 997c2s, and doesnt like it as much as his previous 996c4, so much so he has ordered a new 997c4s,
my advice buy the c4s.
whatever you pick you will grear car.
daz
c4s

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41119

Kevin Hackett from Total 911 Magazine says he would take the basic 997 carrera over the S- more involving he reckoned.

I am a bit disappointed that the 'S' bodied 997 did not look more different to the standard car- the 996 C4S is a real looker, and the wide bodied 993s are arguably one of the best looking 911s ever...

The S does come as standard with the PASM active suspension, which would give best of both worlds over rough london roads and nice speedy roads elsewhere. Can of course be specced on the standard car.

You also need to think about whether you want tiptronic (nice for london) or manual (nice everywhere else)...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41137

Twin exhausts on the S ...........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41160

Thanks for replying to my post... For Sidicks, the cornish lane are around St Austell, very narrow so I would be a bit worried by the C4 which appears a bit wider than the C2.

I found some worrying post on the forum regarding engine blowing at low mileage with porsche apparently unwilling to help. Were these problems sorted or is there still an unsolved problem in the engine ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41198

I spent ages trying to decide between the C2 and the C2S and in the end went for the 'S'. By the time you allow for the difference in the specs (PASM, allys, headlights etc) the amount extra you're paying for the 3,800cc engine over the 3,600cc is relatively small. It does come down to personal preference in the end - driving them on the road it's hard to tell the difference.

One option is to go for the C2 and add some options that you wouldn't normally choose, though don't forget that come resale they'll only be worth a fraction of what it cost to have them fitted.

Would I go for the C4S; is it really worth £5k more again for 4WD and wider rear arches? Yes on an cold winters day, but not when it won't go in the garage because its bottom is too large!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43170

I,ve got the 997 S and imo you don't need 4 wheel drive as two wheels do the job, went for tiptronic box and think it is excellent wanted a manual but her indoors won't drive a manual these days but glad I did and it is ideal for city driving and allows you to keep both hands on the wheel on those narrow lanes, you can of course select manual function on the box but just blip the throttle and the auto red lines every gear,
it's
awsome :D
. As for ride comfort it's not a merc or jag and is a little more firm and you feel the bumps with the pasm, but it is a sports car and not a luxury GT and after a couple of drives it seems quite normal.Base carrera is supposed to be a softer ride ( no pasm).

enjoy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43645

My $0.02 worth, I tried both the 997 & 997 S. I would have gone for the S but could not get a colour combination I liked or a manual transmission! That to me was more important than colour. I had a 2003 996 tiptronic and really didn't like it.

Having said that and having driven the entire range I can honesly say the most accomplished car is the 997 with 18" wheels!!!! I paid the extra for 19" carrera S alloys but probably should have kept the 18's.

I think Chris Harris wrote a review and said pretty much the same thing! BUT, of course, the best advise is get your backside in the cars - drive the same route several times in each of the cars and you 'might' see the differences!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43668

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Christopher on 28 December 2005

Thanks for replying to my post... For Sidicks, the cornish lane are around St Austell, very narrow so I would be a bit worried by the C4 which appears a bit wider than the C2.
So that would be the lanes around Holmbush / Carlyon Bay / Mevagissey / St Blazey etc etc........????

sidicks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44773

I had PASM in my 987 and it does give you the best of both worlds. Supple enough for city pot-holes in Normal mode, far more compliant than the standard set up in a non PASM car and very harsh and unforgiving in Sport but then ideal for race tracks and smooth highways, you do get used to it.

Would love to be in your position, best of luck with your choice.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44808

C4S

C4 to get the wide a$$, S for added performance and twin exhaust.

:)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44816

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back