Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Am I realistic?

Scorpio

Hi,

I'm a new member seeking guidence on 911 ownership.
I have been lucky enough to own a few trophy cars over the years, but my 911 itch remains unscratched....

I want to buy a 911 Coupe - From a '80SC up to '89 Carrera.

My question is; am I being realistic in looking for a genuine well looked after example, with lowish mileage and a full service history with no nasty suprises?

The reason I ask is that all the 911's of this vintage I have come accross have got loads of owners, patchy history and have had more paint that the yellow submarine, hiding who knows what?

I understand because the 911 is so useable, they get used - it makes sense, but I really only want one if I can find a 'propper' example.

Am I searching for a golden goose?

I don't mind 80k miles and 5 or 6 owners, but everything seems to conveniently have 97k on the clock and perfect paint - if you know what I mean.

Please - educate me...

Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40880

Speak to Henry at 911virgin.com. Just don't mention low mileage :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40886

Thanks, I've had a good look round 911virgin, seems a honest place, but as you say, low mileage seems a naughty word?

Is this because they sell high mileage cars, or because they genuinely believe that a 140k car is still mechanically fresh and can be 'leaned' on without fear of vunerability?

Again, please educate me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40891

911s of that era are over-engineered and well built. Don't be put off by high mileage or a respray here and there. Although there will be some mint ones around, they'll be difficult to find. As long as the repairs are done properly and well Documented, then it shouldn't be much of a problem. Buy on condition and make sure you get the car inspected by a reputable mechanic before you hand over the ££.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40897

cos of the nature of any Porsche or any hi-performance car for that matter i wouldn't be too hung up over a car having at least a front-end respray............especially as the youngest in your search is going to be 16yrs+

if there's any out there with low ownership and/or miles the chances are they will have been well cherished and also have a asking price to suit..........IMO the real bargains out there are the 964 models as they still have the near original look but a bit more creature comforts(PAS etc) although there are big horror stories about their reliability(oil leaks etc)

what sort of budget do you have to play with btw?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40910

Thanks for your help chaps. When my circumstances where different, ie. no mortgage, children, debpt etc - you know the drill, I searched for 3 years before I found an original unpainted Countach, so I'm patient, but I'm also realistic, although my budget of £12-15k may not be?

I don't mind a car having paint, I've had cars painted myself, but I took loads of dated photo's to show the original car before the job to satisfy the next owner all was okay. It's when the paint was done 3 owners ago etc I get nervous.

I can nearly afford to buy one, but I can't afford to buy a lemon. Been there - done that - 944 actually, but it was black and shiney and I wanted one.... blah, blah, blah. We live and learn.

964 a bit too expensive for me, and didn't feature in my '80s child 'dream car' fantasy, (hence the Countach, Corvette, 944 etc) Hmm, must dig out those white jeans again...

Creature comforts are of no interest personally, I'd jump into a mint '71-'73 911 E or S if I could, but then I'd need a nut / bolt / photo resto job and loads of £££.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40933

Welcome to the forum Scorpio, you should be able to find a nice 3.2 for the kind of money you are takling about. You have to be realistic about milage and paint though for that kind of dosh.

And they all cost money to keep on the road, unless they live in the garage that is, and then that defeats the point.

Good luck finding the right car.

Daz

C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40958

Welcome!

Agree with above- be realistic about condition and mileage- at £15k you will get a very good car, but not a concours low miler-

You do see the odd low mileage one owner 3.2, but they are usually up for £20k.

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40965

Thanks Chaps, I guess it is just the standard fear of buying a car that turns out to have been in an accident, not straight, rusty etc etc.

I will see what the summer brings.

100k + would be okay if it was well Documented and didn't have half the phone book in previuos owners.

Any advice by the way on whether to hang out for a G50, etc. I hear that a good 204 SC is every bit as good as a Carrera?

Guy down the road had a 4 speed Turbo - '84 I think for years but I never had a go in it.... :(
Migration info. Legacy thread was 40975

Some advice I had years ago, as a rule generally works,

Do the research, decide exactly what you want, keep looking till you find it at the price you want then walk away.

Buy the next one that you see which is better than the one you walked away from.

Dont ask me why, but it works with everything, jobs, cars, women, houses.

Daz.

C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40979

Ahhh, that's where I went wrong....with everything. Thankfully woman bit still working out!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40983

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by darren james on 23 December 2005
Some advice I had years ago, as a rule generally works,
Do the research, decide exactly what you want, keep looking till you find it at the price you want then walk away.
Buy the next one that you see which is better than the one you walked away from.
Dont ask me why, but it works with everything, jobs, cars, women, houses.
Daz.
C4S

I couldn't agree more!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41451

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Zahoor Hussain on 01 January 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by darren james on 23 December 2005

Dont ask me why, but it works with everything, women,

Daz.

C4S
I couldn't agree more!
Sh!t, I knew I was doing something wrong!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41464

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back