Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S sale price help...

Egas what is this?
Have I got it?

Thank you for your description of the driving very informative, I previously had a 996 no driver aids it was on of the first out and then a 993 and I agree with your descriptions on these cars.

I would add that even with PSM on I have found it very easy to get my C4S, sideways, however I have allways recovered.

With the 993, sideways was sometimes a bit more difficult but also rewarding, however I did lose it once at 95mph on a sweeper in Pembrey and spun twice in a 360, not fun, my throtle manifold came off and I couldnt start the car, and then relised what the problem was and fixed it.

Daz.
C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40562

If you have a 996 C4S then you have eGas... it's a throttle control setting that sits between the accellerator and the inlet control within the ECU. It's basically designed to transmit the throttle position (as the throttle is electronic rather than a cable), but I believe that it also makes slight adjustments based on engine temperature, speed, current RPM, etc. It's not really noticable, but I occasionally find that the throttle is a little less responsive when cold as a result, whereas a non-eGas car is pretty linear.

I've never had the C4S sideways... the things sticks like glue to the road. I have managed to make the PSM light come on once or twice with some spirited driving, so it may have saved my bacon on these occasions. I did manage to make my old car (non-PSM Boxster S) go sideways all the way around a long left-hander once... it must have looked great but I was cr**ping myself at the time!

Cheers,

Gary D.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40601

all 2001 model year 996 have egas

and boxsters, I believe it may of been 2000 but I'm not 100% sure

hence you can retrofit cruise control on post 2001 cars by buying a new column stalk a bit of wire and telling the ecu it has cruise VIA the Porsche OBD computer

I sold a '911 UK 'member a car who uses a wheel chair and he fitted hand controls to the car,

he bought a blue car with cruise although he really wanted a black car and have me retrofit cruise, hence my now indepth knowledge of egas and cruise controls

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40605

how much to retrofit cruise?

Gary,

have had the PSM light on a few times in the last month, mind you the roads are really slippy at the moment.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40607

you need a new cruise control stalk for the steering column and a couple of bits of wire then you plug the car into a Porsche diagnostic computer to tell the cars ecu that it has cruise

there are full details on rennlist

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40613

Gary, the market is a lot tighter at this time of year than some folk might imagine, all prices are dropping and I hear around £750 per month for some cars and yest even porsches, 996's might seem to be set at low levels but people talk up what they want to hear or if they are in business,try to make people less worried and part with their hard earned cash.

Recently some of the mileages and cars quoted for sale, can still catch the unwary out big time,certainly the more you spend the more you lose, regardless of condition at the end of the day,though there is a feeling of recesion in the air in the UK and first thing that drops will be luxury cars of all types..Your car is the top of the tree in terms of Porsche for most people and for the majority a dram they would be happy to pay for if they could afford it and cherish like the baby ! The good news I have found in the past few months is if the cars for sale are right in terms of condition,specification and price then privately they sell quite quickly,yours at least is in that catagory but you must decide if you want to sell quickly at the market price for your car and that is not terribly far away from the dealer in my view - or take a chance and hope it goes in early spring at a better price,dealer mark up are igger these days but for many reasons - I am not a trader but I am trying to decide what to buy and have been closely watching the market,missed a couple of real bargains at prices that you would not imagine, so for the buyer its patience and for the seller its about nerve and good promotion, good luck..wish I could afford it. John G

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40657

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back