Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 suspension upgrade...

I fitted some Bilstein HD`s (standard length thread on the front shocks), with some Eibach progressive lowering springs (similar to the H&R`s) and a strut brace 2 weeks ago to my 993C2. The car was then set up to RS alignment specification by Robin at 9M, Warrington yesterday.

The car was originally on standard ride height suspension with 18" wheels, which is very comfortable even on poor A roads. With 64k on the clock, the shocks were well worn, but mainly the rears. The car used to bounce about a lot with excessive wheel travel on some of the local bumpy roads and there was a lot of understeer and body roll.

I opted for the Bilstein/Eibach set up, because I wanted to lower the car a little, but no more than the sports chassis M030 or the lowered chassis M033. The M030 chassis as on my turbo is a little harsh for me for a daily driver on the local roads, the M033 chassis too low and soft for them. A friend with a 993C2S M033 chassis has problems with grounding on some of the worst undulating lanes.

The Eibach springs lower the car about an inch, which is plenty enough fo me, some of the ride quality at low speeds has been sacrificed but at higher speeds the ride is fine. Body roll has been much reduced and the car rides the worst of the bumpy roads much better than before due to the new shocks and progressive springs. I have no grounding issues and the car now feels firmly planted and composed on the roads without the wallowing feeling I had before.

I asked Robin to set the car to RS spec to reduce the understeer and to give it better initial turn in than the standard settings give you. After the alignment the car drives much better and even the straight line stability has not suffered too much due to the increase in the front and rear camber settings. The only thing I would like to do further is try this setup with 17" wheels to see what difference it makes to the low speed ride qualitity.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40680

BTW, if you're thinking of buying from Carnewal, talk to Gert about prices. I paid less than the advertised prices and only 19 euros shipping.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40685

Robert Bill wrote
Forgive my total muppetry, but if one has a coilover kit (e.g. PSS9) you presumably don't need springs too?
That is correct

Maxy M: Wrote
Robert, did you know that Algray is driving your car?

No Maxy, Robert has a car like mine :)

Sundeep
alex, which 18"'s are you running ?

Classic Sport- first seen on the GT3 I believe (a complete PITA to clean)

exact wheel & ET sizes please !

Front ET 50; 18 x 7 1/2
Rear ET 65; 18 x 10

Hope that helps

Alex

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40716

cheers alex...

the interest is in the rears, that it has been noted that some 993 Targa's don't work on the
Rear ET 65; 18 x 10,
the rears rub, so the 18x9.5 has been the only option....

clearly yours work...

but it is a mystery why some dont !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40719

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 21 December 2005
cheers alex...
the interest is in the rears, that it has been noted that some 993 Targa's don't work on the <FONT color=#ff0000>Rear ET 65; 18 x 10,
the rears rub, so the 18x9.5 has been the only option....

clearly yours work...
but it is a mystery why some dont !

My car sits at the M033 height, I have also been on the track with this wheel combination and no wheels fouling the wheel arches, maybe those that had a problem with this combo went to the RS height and below.
I forgot add the boots are Dunlop SSRs Front 225 and Rear 265

Alex

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40800

I emailed Gert Carnewal, and he did improve his price a little without any prompting from me...

He also said that for a Targa, esp one that won't spend much time on the Track, the PSS9 set up would be too hard and an "overkill". His recommendation for me was the Bilstein/H&R combo. Interestingly, he said that the H&Rs were actually a little softer than the standard springs. If the composure can be improved then this would appear to be a win-win.

I see that Autofarm are offering a Bilstein/Eibach combo, fitted inc alignment and corner weighting (whatever that is...) for £1999+vat which seems pricey, but interesting that they rate the Eibach springs.

I like the idea of an RS alignment... good idea.

BTW, the prices on his site are subject to Belgian VAT at 21% :eek:
, but still work out v competitive.

Maxy, thanks for the tip, I will have to have stern words with Alex about driving my car, especially now he's gone and fitted big wheels to it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40805

Hmm. Well the H&Rs don't feel softer to me...!

Autofarm is about the same price as JZ. I'm making plans to meet up with another 993 driver who's got the JZ package plus thicker AR bars to see what his is like.

But regardless of whether you change the AR bars or go for RS bones as well, I think that a combination of Carnewal and a good indie with sensible labour rates is a very competitive deal.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40814

The sport (maroon) H&R springs are not softer than the M030 springs and if that was the case your fillings would drop out. Saying that there are different and softer springs provided by H&R.

Eibach are not as good quality as H&R but are cheaper.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40816

Just come back from giving the 993 a serious workout on a minor road that's fast but bumpy with lots of camber changes. Body control outstanding, steering accuracy excellent. Cornering not tested to any extent (impeded by slow traffic).

Thumbs up for Bilsteins plus H&Rs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40942

My current suss set up is standard C4 but I've noticed that every time I go over a speed hump I get this squashy noise which I put down to lack of lubing on the suspension bushes... So I've been looking at a suss upgrade too. Really this is a thanks to Robert for starting the thread and to all you other guys who've given the answers. Merry Xmas and New Year!

Here's to 2006 upgrades - RSR's and new suss!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40948

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Pixelation on 23 December 2005

Really this is a thanks to Robert for starting the thread and to all you other guys who've given the answers.
Oi! Don't forget yours truly who got a ball rolling in this direction earlier... See
http://www.911uk.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=11&TopicID=5068&PagePosition=3

But since you haven't been around much lately, Pixelation, you could be forgiven... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40950

Not so, I had my HD's and H&R suspension fitted in 2003 :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41101

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back