Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sticking Brakes

Simon A

Dear All,

This problem has only started recently. When I dive in the car each morning the brakes appear to have 'locked' - however this is only apparent when I pull off and hear the tale-tale 'clunk' as they release. I have tried leaving the handbrake off and putting it in 1st, but no joy...............I have also noticed that after I wash the car(withough a run to dry the brakes), they also bind slightly.

• Is this a combination of salt on the roads / wet weather?
  • Am I doing any damage?
  • Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39364

yes
no
yes

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39369

Poon - thanks for the reply. I suppose this is one of the downsides of parking outside all the time and not keeping the 'zymol babe' in a dehumidified garage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39388

The metal Porsche uses for the brakes are more prone to rust, but it has higher friction coeficience, I was told.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39390

and if you have experineced this then you do need to give them a short work out (safely) to ensure that they are fully functional or you risk the discs pitting and corroding = expensive replacement !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39411

Cheers Sundeep.

Problem is I only use the car 2 or 3 times during the week (but it's only an 8 mile trip to work), so the car does not have time to warm up properly - do try to exercise her a bit more at the weekends though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39418

it's not really about warming them up, rather keeping them clean and clear of any serious rust patches.... front and back (behind the disc is where is risks are higher)

but have a closer look at the wear pattern on your discs to ensure they are even all the way around, if not then they will need to be checked !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39427

Many thanks for the advice - will have a look........ :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39428

Really pleased to read about the brakes, as I have the same problem and mine is kept in a great big garage.

Daz.

C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39461

Pondering this one, because when I took the car out yesterday it was obvious that something was binding when I moved off, as the roads had been wet, although it wasn't raining at the time, when the car was last used.

Now whenever I park the car, I don't put the handbrake on, and if the brakes were on, with the pads touching the discs, the tail lights would be lit, so how come the pads are able to rust into place on the discs?

Can someone explain the science?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39827

the pads are always touching the discs, only very lightly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39828

As poon said, when the brakes are correctly adjusted, the pads should be just touching the discs, with minimal presure, so as soo as you press the brake it starts to produce friction. With the brakes off and wheels off the ground you should be able to move the wheels with a little pressure, and should not continue to turn freely when you let go.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39833

dont forget never wash the wheels and put the car in the garage

allways drive it around the block to dry off the discs

Most of you know it but theres allways a newbie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39834

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 11 December 2005

the pads are always touching the discs, only very lightly.
and this time of year, moisture will always get in any gaps and start to create rust... so I also get the binding noise when I use my car after it has been parked up for a week.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39845

Ah! Where's that light bulb smilie when you need it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39854

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back