Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 engine problems 98/99?

Mark Jearum

I've experienced an extremely catestrophic and expensive engine problem in my 1998 C2 996.

I'm now looking at a recon engine. Cost will be in the region of £8K.

Has anybody had serious engine problems and had any joy from Porsche GB in any form of compensation?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37789

doubt Porsche will offer any goodwill tbh,but try Autofarm as i'm sure they are developing a cure for the dreaded water in engine syndrome

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37799

It's a problem that occurs too often on early 996s - and some later cars too. 997s maybe???

Plenty of topics cover it on here and on the Porsche Club GB forum. Have a good search and you'll learn plenty. But there's no cheap cure or fix. New engine or one from a dismantler.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37802

postamble();
Mark,

Sorry to hear of your problem. What exactly happened and what mileage is your car?

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37892

Mileage was about 80K.

First problem started about 3 years ago with the water warning light coming on. I booked it in to our local Porsche dealer and they advised me that they needed to order a part and they would contact us when it was in...we were just informed to make sure the water llevel was always topped up in the meantime...time went on - the Porsche is actually my wifes car and I forgot about it and so did the garage.

I guess between us (and the incompetance of the garage) we screwed up big time. We then started to get water in the oil...£3,000 later having had the heads skimmed by the same Porsche dealer we thought the problem was fixed but they said they could only skim 6/1000" off and really the heads needed about 12...Great news... Anyway we kept the car and things apperaed to be okay.

That is until about 3 months ago - I borrowed the car from my wife and I guess I drive it a little harder than her. I was accellerating up hill on a dual carriageway and BANG!

The result was that one of the con rods had blown through the crank case.

I'm now having a recon. engine (bored out to 3.7Lt) put in by Autofarm, great bunch of guys and I have every faith they will do a good job.

Should have the car back about christmas time..

Rgds Mark

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37896

postamble();
Mark,

Good luck with the new engine...let the forum know how things progress with the project. Hope it all workes out not tooooooooo expensive.

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37974

FWIW, I think Porsche subsidise the cost of relacement engines, so there is some goodwill already there.

I reckon that the Autofarm solution sounds much more interesting- as well as probably giving you greater longevity, the 3.7 conversion sounds appealing too, so at least you'll feel like your paying for a mod rather than just a repair...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37992

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back