Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitting a new steering wheel...

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 08 November 2005

As far as I can recall, the worst that can happen if you don't disconnect is the computer will show the airbag warning light, which need to be reset by ?OPC. I'd still stand back when you do it though, just in case! :wink:
Rest assured, I intend to be wearing a full face helmet and goggles...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37336

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 08 November 2005

As far as I can recall, the worst that can happen if you don't disconnect is the computer will show the airbag warning light, which need to be reset by ?OPC.

I'd still stand back when you do it though, just in case! :wink:

Nice get out clause Mick !!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37337

I don't want to be sued, you know what it's like these days! :wink:
I'm sure Robert will be fine with all the protections and all. (surely the face can't get anymore distorted! :D )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37339

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robert Bill on 08 November 2005

Rest assured, I intend to be wearing a full face helmet and goggles...

as opposed to flip flops and bath towel straight from the shower....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37340

Sooo....

Removed wheel, fitted new one...nearly, but fell at the last fence.

All going fine, but can't get the retaining screws for the airbag to do back up again- the problem lies in getting them aligned with the holes you can't see on the back of the airbag unit once it's in place. My allen key (don't have a sufficiently short star-drive to get behind the wheel, but the allen key works fine to a point) keeps pushing the screw out of alignment.

Any tips?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37371

Robert,

Allen key? :eek:
Careful as you'll strip the pattern out of the Torx head!

This is definitely the most fiddly bit. Make sure you can see the ends of the bolts without the airbag in place. Align the airbag up and then turn the bolt until you get one turn of thread on. Then do the same on the other side. It's a bit hit and miss but once you get the right angle of attack it'll bite eventually.

Good luck!

PS. I have a T27 if you need it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37377

Good point about the thread, I'm being gentle with the new ones, but the ones on the old wheel survived some pretty brutal treatment getting them to initially loosen!

I guess it is a case of persevering- thanks for the offer of the T27, which I may well take you up on as the allen key keeps getting wedged under the column stalks which is not helping!

As a wise man once said, you can't beat a good tool...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37384

have you tried cutting the allen key down?

You could just buy a shorter one or an allen key head for socket wrench (i have a set great for bikes/flat pack too)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37435

Thank you very much for all your help folks- all fitted now, but not yet tested...

Some other points to add for future reference in case anyone's searching in the future;

1. When loosening the torx bolts initially, they are really stiff.

2. Turn the wheel around to get better access to the holes.

3. Remember which way to turn the bolts- when looking at the wheel/dash, turn the allen key anticlockwise to tighten, clockwise to loosen- easy to forget and really annoying when the airbag unit falls off again!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37446

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robert Bill on 10 November 2005

all fitted now, but not yet tested...

Ummm....you don't really want to test the air bag, do you..... :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37459

Be careful; I'm almost certain the screws are T30, not T27.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40310

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by phelix on 16 December 2005

Definitely T27. I asked Northway. I had to buy a new set of Torx keys as my previous set only had T25 and T30.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40316

you must always disconnect the battery when fitting an airbag , on 996 leave it 5 minutes then take the airbag unit out , the torx screws should be replaced and the centre nut is 24 mm socket size the airbag may display a warning lamp which needs to be erased by a porsche centre using a ' tester '

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40900

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 993_2S on 16 December 2005

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by phelix on 16 December 2005

Definitely T27. I asked Northway. I had to buy a new set of Torx keys as my previous set only had T25 and T30.
Interesting; I just swapped my wheel out and used a T30. The factory bolts were very very tight; using too small a Torx could have b*ggered up the bolt heads which would have been a challenge to sort out.

Even the shop manual quotes "
Remove driver airbag unit, undoing both fastening screws with a socket Torx T 30 wrench.
"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40909

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back