Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Transmission Problems

Aziz Rasool

I have recently had the misfortune of issues with my 996 (C4) transmission. This was realised when I couldnt shift into 3rd Gear (Initally it was a bit clunky before finally it would go at all).

So off it went to the porsche dealer ( the experts!!!?)

I was hoping it would be the linkage a quick fix..

but no apprently the trhust washer had erored and cause internal gear box damage!!! ouch..

So now I faced the dilemma of New Gear box ( approx £6k F*%k) or trying to find a reconditioned job.

Apprently the poarts are like gold dust..

I feel like I was ripped off, and have learned the hard way so if anyone has any problems then i would be more than happy to show them the best way out of such a hole where your dealer has you by the balls!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36891

What was the mileage?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36908

it has been known for porsche to offer 'goodwill' depending on the age and milage of the vehicle - it might be worth talking to customer service

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36918

milage is 80,000
goodwill? not sure I know what you mean

the sting was the fact that they 1st lead me down the road of 'trying' to find the faulty components:
- thrust washer on main shaft assembley
- 3rd & 4th gear syncro hub & baul rings damaged

after a monnth they came back and toild me they couldnt find the components and hence would have to go down the dreaded road of full reconditned gear box

I then started researching for components.. ofcourse they werent happy about that , and put me off by saying they hadnt opened the box fully!!!!

they then came back with a full report to further add:
- 5th gear teeth extensivley damaged and worn
- input bearings & main shaft bearing all damaged

they gave me a price of £4500 for a refurbshed box

after along haul of arguments they dropped the price to £3500

the way I see it I was being held to ransome!!! since they had opened the car, subcontractr had the gear box , and hence the cost to get the car to someon who could fix it at a fraction of the price was made to be unviable..

I still wonder if what they say was actually the truth !!!

So if you need your gear box done then be careful and shop around otherwise you may end up with my predicament!!!

Apprently Prorsche dont supply individual components for a gear box.. good news for the garges..

thought theres folks out there that have them:

www.bsmotorsport.co.uk - very freindly bunch who wont skin you alive..!!

Ps.. does anyone know how much I should be paying for a Porsche service ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36940

hmmm - sounds iffy. i know that the manafacturers of the manual gear box do not supply spares so any work needed would mean a new box. goodwill is basically a goodwill gesture from Porsche where they will pay an amount of your cost, whether it be the parts and 50% of the labour etc. they do this for rear main oil seals on older cars sometimes. i doubt the garage would have stripped the box to look inside as its a pig of a job. i would still speak to porsche customer services. good luck mate

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36978

Re. the non-selling of parts for the gearbox. I think Porsche started this idea from the 996 and I guess it's the same with the 997. So it would seem that DIY work on the 'boxes of the watercooled 911s is now out of the question.

An idea for servicing prices should be obtainable from any OPC as most (all?) have now harmonised prices across the UK while older models get discounted rates. (I'm not sure of the age of car, but I know my 1997 993 qualifies.) JZ Machtech (.com) publish their menu pricing and most independents (some published on web) are around those figures.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37101

i can fix those gearboxes and can get all bearings and synchro rings....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44833

I had exactly the same problem with my 993, and it cost me £2500 for a second hand wttyed box and they charged me £700 labour.

They being discount 9 Autotech in south Wales, who are very good independants as are Welsh Porsche in Bridgend.

With regards final cost, by the time they had given it a full 24k service, second hand gearbox, clutch, flywheel, refurb all wheels the cost was £5000 inc VAT, which I thought very reasonable.

This price also included striping of the original box was completely shot. Bits of metal everywhere.

One thing that I learnt for future use is, to check the gearbox on a used car, and the easy way to do that is to take the gearbox drain plug out and check the colour of the oil, and the amount of iron filings stuck to the drain plug.

If the oil is dark and black, it means that it hasnt been changed regularly (if at all), and you should be very wary of the car.

If there are lots of iron filings on the drain plug, this means that there are lots of metailc bits in the box, moving around in the box damaging it, also be very wary of the car.

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44834

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back