Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

At last some piccies

Well Ray,

here is my recent post on p'heads:

I have had my Mk2 GT3 for a week now, and OH MY GOD!

What a car, hanging on to the revs is absolutely addictive, I find myself driving around in 2nd just to keep it at 6000 and above! The power is simply awesome, I can't wait to get it on track!

Still getting used to the handling so haven't really pushed it around the twisties, but the ride is very compliant at speed, especially over the bumps, much better than my old 993 that had a Roock fast road set up. Did manage to get a twitch at the back end in slightly damp conditions on Saturday but having my right foot firmly planted it just straightened back up and off I went.

No scrapes or bottoming out yet and have managed 300 miles in varying road conditions, I don't expect it to be a problem.

The interior is very pleasing (coming from a 993 thats not hard) no rattles or creaks yet! Decent stereo, not that its on much. Overall build quality seems very good.

Getting used to the seats (buckets), they are great for driving, just a pain when getting in and out. I need to find a way to get in without wearing out the side, at present I sit on my hand which I place on the side bolster. Passengers keep dumping themselves on the side bolster though!

A few questions/niggles, not sure if they are common to the GT3 and all part of the experience:

On full lock when parking or coming out of a 3 point turn, the suspension (front and rear) twangs, as though a spring became unseated and reseated itself?? NORMAL ACCORDING TO SEAN DUDDING

The exhaust seems as though its blowing at tickover only?? AGAIN NORMAL

I love the sound of the LSD though!

The car is currently being Zymoled at home (half way through) and I can't wait to get it back out!

I can't see why anyone would want to buy a new 997 when for less you can get a used MK2 GT3, don't tell everyone

As far as comparing it to my old 993, it does feel a more special experience, but at £30k more it bloody well should. Its a completely different car and so far I am not missing my 993, my bank account however cannot share my sentiments.

As far as comparing it to a turbo, I have never driven one and have always preferred the GT3, however a aerokitted 996 turbo looks awesome, a GT2 would probably be more up my street.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36479

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 26 October 2005
Rob, you not buying that GT3 brochure?
Which one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36480

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rob J on 26 October 2005
how did you do that Sundeep??

The number plates just been changed so actually really don't matter....new one is a little obvious...

GT** ROB?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36481

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rob J on 27 October 2005
[quote:bDGywKJUDy="Previous poster"]Quote: Originally posted by poon on 26 October 2005Rob, you not buying that GT3 brochure?
Which one?
[/quote]

the ebay one

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36482

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 27 October 2005

Well Ray, here is my recent post on p'heads:I have had my Mk2 GT3 for a week now, and OH MY GOD! What a car, hanging on to the revs is absolutely addictive, I find myself driving around in 2nd just to keep it at 6000 and above! The power is simply awesome, I can't wait to get it on track! Still getting used to the handling so haven't really pushed it around the twisties, but the ride is very compliant at speed, especially over the bumps, much better than my old 993 that had a Roock fast road set up. Did manage to get a twitch at the back end in slightly damp conditions on Saturday but having my right foot firmly planted it just straightened back up and off I went. No scrapes or bottoming out yet and have managed 300 miles in varying road conditions, I don't expect it to be a problem. The interior is very pleasing (coming from a 993 thats not hard) no rattles or creaks yet! Decent stereo, not that its on much. Overall build quality seems very good. Getting used to the seats (buckets), they are great for driving, just a pain when getting in and out. I need to find a way to get in without wearing out the side, at present I sit on my hand which I place on the side bolster. Passengers keep dumping themselves on the side bolster though! A few questions/niggles, not sure if they are common to the GT3 and all part of the experience: On full lock when parking or coming out of a 3 point turn, the suspension (front and rear) twangs, as though a spring became unseated and reseated itself?? NORMAL ACCORDING TO SEAN DUDDINGThe exhaust seems as though its blowing at tickover only?? AGAIN NORMALI love the sound of the LSD though! The car is currently being Zymoled at home (half way through) and I can't wait to get it back out! I can't see why anyone would want to buy a new 997 when for less you can get a used MK2 GT3, don't tell everyoneAs far as comparing it to my old 993, it does feel a more special experience, but at £30k more it bloody well should. Its a completely different car and so far I am not missing my 993, my bank account however cannot share my sentiments.As far as comparing it to a turbo, I have never driven one and have always preferred the GT3, however a aerokitted 996 turbo looks awesome, a GT2 would probably be more up my street.
Poon

Well that has pretty much covered my questions.

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36483

Ray,

I have to admit to being a Porsche virgin, so really am not able to make much of a comparison to a 993. The only other one I've driven was a 996 Turbo with a Tiptronic box.

Maybe it was just me but I feel the engine responds much quicker to the right foot in the GT3, it seems almost telepathic, your still thinking about accelerating & it's already going....makes for some interesting moves towards ditches & hedges until you get used to it!

In terms of being raw, well build quality seems as good as the turbo, no squeaks or rattles. It's obviously set up stiffer, which on some rough roads can rattle you fillings a little, but on most roads you really don't notice. It's noisier, but hey thats part of the experience. I have used it a few times for my commute up to London & it's perfectly fine. However if I was going to use it for this everyday then i think I'd get the Turbo, but only for the tiptronic box.

On full lock when parking or coming out of a 3 point turn, the suspension (front and rear) twangs, as though a spring became unseated and reseated itself?? NORMAL ACCORDING TO SEAN DUDDING

Yep, mine does that too, so must be normal!!

Yes it's noisier, the ride is a little harder, makes some funny noises when moving at slow speed, doesn't have any pretence to back seats, so it is a more raw vehicle, but that is part of the experience.

But what an experience...as Poon says.....it just flies all the way to the red line with an incredible surge....it feels like it will never stop.

I think the GT3 appeals to a different market, than most of the rest of the 911 range, if I could only have one car it would probably have to be a Turbo Tip for the auto box & 4WD, however I'm fortunate, so can have the GT3!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36485

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 27 October 2005
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rob J on 26 October 2005how did you do that Sundeep??

The number plates just been changed so actually really don't matter....new one is a little obvious...

GT** ROB?

ergh yep.....job for the day is to get them made up....

...& yes just waiting for the GT3 book to be delivered. What really peeves me is that I had loads of the Porsche & Mercedes hardback brochures, they used to keep sending me them, never realised there was a market for them & I threw them out about 6 months back, only keeping 1 copy of the 911 & the Merc SL!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36486

thats funny coz the ebayer selling that brochure we bid on has just offered me a second chance? maybe he has two?

back to the Gt3, lucky we have a BMW 3 series touring for the kids :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36487

He better have 2,cos he's got my money already!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36488

poon

I have a tip for you regarding getting in and out without destroying the side of the seat.

I discoverd it after hurting my back at the gym.

Basically you need to use your right hand on the sill to support your weight as you get in and out.

Hope this helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40612

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back