Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pricing advice for 996 purchase

Martin Barnes

Hi. Looking at buying a 996 and have been offered a 2002 02 reg facelift C4 coupe. RHD and UK supplied. One owner from new with full Porsche history and still under warranty until 2006. Full spec including colour sat nav, xenons, sunroof etc in dark blue with grey leather. The downside is the mileage of just over 120000 miles. What should this car be worth?. I can't find any price guides to adjust for the mileage. Could it be a better buy than an earlier lower spec 996 with half the mileage? Any views would be appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36336

120k miles !!?

I think you may have a problem selling that one on when you're done with it.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36338

120,000 miles in 3 years - that guy must have REALLY enjoyed driving his Porker :D

What state is the drivers seat in?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36345

Very interesting, there's not much out there with that kind of mileage (even early 996's)!

The plus point is that it's probably done most of the depreciation already so you won't be losing much more there. But judging by the other comments so far it's going to be difficult to shift when you come to upgrading.

For comparison I've seen a facelift model on Autotrader, 2002 '52' done 105000 at £37500, but I reckon there should be some margin on the price.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36360

A chum of mine bid £19K on a similar car

whats it going to be worth with 150,000 miles?

leave well alone

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36361

run a mile!

My limited experience suggests mileage hurts these cars, so unless you plan to run it into the ground and/or can get an AMAZING deal...........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36392

Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds like this one is a difficult decision to make, although it is tempting with the spec and the price wanted is just below £30k, about £10k less than a lower mileage car, is the safety net of the warranty worth the risk and does anyone know if I could keep extending the warranty?
From other opinions on the forum, perhaps I should be looking at 993's as well, these appear to be easier to resell than earlier 996's. I like the look of the wider bodied cars, I think these are the S versions.
Lots to think about and I'll keep looking.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36441

I don't think that Porsche will offer a warranty on cars with 100,000 on the clock. I'm sure Mark Pearce can advise.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36449

They will offer a warranty up to 125,000 miles or 9 years.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36478

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Martin Barnes on 26 October 2005

Thanks for the feedback.Sounds like this one is a difficult decision to make, although it is tempting with the spec and the price wanted is just below £30k, about £10k less than a lower mileage car...
From what mark says re the bid from his mate of £19k for a similar car, you would be facing a 10k loss on the car if you were to resell now, which would make the lower mileage car a better bet.

The bigger picture is that you may struggle to find a buyer at all- there are plenty about.

I wouldn't rule it out- a high 'motorway miles' car could be a very good buy (my BMW 330Ci has done 73k commuting miles in 3 yrs and is as fresh as a daisy), but the price needs to be right.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36493

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back