Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Handling 993 coupe verses targa

Wolvreen

Is it noticeable that the targa is worse handling, road driving?

There seems to be many late (96-98) targa 993's for sale at the moment but not Coupes, any idea why?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34346

Re the number of cars for sale, maybe they are percieved to be 'special' summer cars rather than the daily driver Coupes. Which is nonsence as the Targa is perfectly usable all year round.

My Targa drives beautifully on its 17 in wheels, unmodified suspension. Suits UK roads very well as it allegedly softer than the Coupes. I've noticed no probs handlingwise on the road. Might be a little soft and wallowy on the track (not that I've tried it on a circuit), but nothing a good bit of suspension tweakage couldn't sort.

The glass roof is a real crowd pleaser too, and is, in my opinion, the perfect roof system for UK conditions.

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34356

I have owned both at the same time and can honestly say that you will not notice any difference at all. The Targa drives just as nice as the Coupe, in fact feels identical to drive in standard configuration. But the Targa must be a 6 speed manual and quite a lot are Tiptronic.

As for late Coupes I agree with you that they seem to be rarely up for sale.

I don't think there were that many 96 onwards Coupes made because between 96-98 Porsche were pushing a lot of other models (Targa, 2S, 4S, Turbo, Cabriolet) where as prior to 96 the narrow body Coupe was the main seller.

The narrow body Coupe (2 wheel drive version IMHO) is the classic configuration for a 911 and if you were going to buy one as a keeper you would try and get a 96 on Varioram model. Once you have bought the keeper you are not likely to sell which may be where all the late Coupes have now gone.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34359

totally agree with the last 2 callers....

and if put on a front upper strut brace on a Targa and it will handle as well as any coupe !

although the chassis is Cab based, the 'final' chassis is (iirc) 50% stiffer than the Cab, not so far from the spec of the coupe....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34369

The Targa is the best compromise between cab and coupe IMO. I track my car a few times a year, I have not noticed the bad Handling that you talk of, I also had a coupe previously.

Bad drivers norfmally blame the car :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34375

The weight difference is minor between the two cars, if you are a porky pig big guy it is you that counts. A front strut brace does help - but note that they are also fitted to racing coupes!
The targa is based on the cabriolet body (specially stiffend for the cabriolet which has no roof structure) so it has to be much stiffer than the cab - it has that aluminium framed roof structure and rear window to stiffen it.

20,000 miles in mine compared with 30,000 miles in my 3.2 coupe - ask me which handles better.

Sundeep can track both for you and get you fastest comparable track times!

Only about 4250 993 Targas were built (world wide).

If you want a roof to see the sky and scenery day and night and which opens or closes "at any speed" according to the manual - there is no alternative.

I can verify that plus 100mph open and close are a delight.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34380

I love my Targa to bits. As those above have pointed out the glass roof is a real bonus, mines always open so long as it's not raining.

I've got the standard 17" wheels & suspension and my the fillings in my teeth are still intact, in fact I find the ride very compliant.

Couple of question for the other Targa owners out there though regarding strut braces -

1. What brand do you recommend, I've seen carbon ones & metal ones. I guess carbon will be lighter but is it worth the extra cost?

2. Where's the best place to buy - I've seen them on Carnewel - anywhere else worth looking.

3. Is it a DIY job to fit them ?

4. I guess you have to put holes in the boot carpet just above the shock towers?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34391

Mine is Carnewal GT2 copy and sits under the carpet with no holes - fitted in 15-20 minutes at most!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34394

On the track...

OEM Spec 993 C2 v OEM Spec 993 Targa

C2 is the winner.. lighter with a stiffer chassis

Targa.. heavy roof with very heavy wheels

but the difference is only in split seconds...

and that other cost effective essential is a gear short shifter. brings much better feel and response from the gear change :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34397

weights
carerra 1370 kg
carerra s 1395 kg
carerra 4 1420 kg
carerra 4S 1450 kg
Targa 1400 kg
Targa tiptronic S 1425 kg

max roof load Targa and coupe 75 kg

There is only one acceleration graph in the manual for standard coupe/targa.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34399

Barry Wizzo Williams took me around Milbrook bowl in a 993 cabriolet (roof up) - indicated speed 186 mph - did a lap hands off at 155 mph, controlling it on the throttle - then a quick few laps on the little handling circuit drifting through all the corners. Seemed good enough for him to scare the sh*T out of me even though it was only a cabriolet.

Are you as quick as him?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34402

I've had an indicated speed of 180mph + and it was still going....

but then hit a rubber front spolier that had just been deposited by the GT3 in front !

straight line speed is better in the narrow body car.. but all within a few mph...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34404

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back