Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

23 month old 996 and Corroded Brakes?

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 01 October 2005

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Servo Sarai on 01 October 2005

I employ a few little Japanese girls with lovely little fans with '911' written on them to 'gently' dry the brakes - doesn't everyone?????
what do they do when not drying brakes?
Zymol hand polishers?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34551

Zymol hand polishers - sounds like that would be good! Wax On - Wax Off! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34560

i view brake discs in the same way as brake pads........they are consumables..........so will need to be replaced at regular intervals throughtout a cars life(especially a "heavy" performance car)...........i find that my discs on my Corrado VR6(2/3rds the power and similar weight to a 996) lasts approx 2 years (with my style of driving at any rate)......so given the performance potential of a 911...........it might be worthwhile biting the bullet and replacing them as they'll probably be near the end of their "service" life

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34569

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Servo Sarai on 01 October 2005

I employ a few little Japanese girls with lovely little fans with '911' written on them to 'gently' dry the brakes - doesn't everyone?????
and that is probably true for this legendary Punjabi-Japanese Playboy !

8)

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/911%20Targaa.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34570

Maybe I'm missing something here... I've owned from new a four year old Audi TT which has done 30,000 miles with not so much as a hint of corrosion on the surfaces.

I'm taking delivery of a Caymen at the end of the year, and expecting a quality product, albeit with a premium price tag to buy and service.

So if "Dealer said boxters need changing every 15km" can someone explain to me why I'm going to have to change my brake disks every year with the Porsche whereas my four year old TT is still on it's first set? Surely there can't be that much performance difference between TT and Boxster brakes, or is the quality of the Porsche materials lacking!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34571

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Ian Martin on 02 October 2005

Surely there can't be that much performance difference between TT and Boxster brakes, or is the quality of the Porsche materials lacking!
as as former Audi TT owner.. .. .. the answer to that question is yes, the vw/seat/skoda/audi types are more durable for a wider range of cars produced at lower cost but at a lower level of performace which is not needed in these marques....... sure they last a lot of road miles but the porsche types is build for maximsed high speed performance, which is a huge difference, and ultimately they don't last a long and is the difference between a sports coupe and a super car...

and as all those wise words have said, after a car wash you have to run the car to ensure the discs are liable to corode !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34573

Thanks for the explanation Sundeep, I alway run the TT after a wash as otherwise I can see the disks turning brown! Just to put my mind at rest, I don't have a garage but the car is used daily (8K a year) and I'm not especially heavy footed on the brake pedal. What sort of disk life expectancy should I budget for?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34574

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back