Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 heater smell

Rich C

Hello,

I've recently bought a 993 c4 and found that when you turn the heating on there is an unbearably strong smell, which pretty much forces you to turn the heating off. The car is fine with the aircon on, and it only happens when you are trying to inject some heat into the cabin.

Has anybody had a similar problem, I have assumed that it will be easily sorted at the cars next service (in a couple of months), but would like to know if it may be anything more serious.

Thanks

Richard

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32396

maybe dodgy heat exchangers?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32400

It could be that the aircon has not been used and there has been a build up of mould and stuff (technical term)

You can get an aerosol which kills off this and feshens everything up. Sorry cannot remember the name but a search on google should give the answer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32404

Yes, it's probably mould from Air con dampness; Halfords sell something made, I think, by Comma to tackle the problem.

It's possible to reduce the chance of dampness in your heater system by turning off your aircon and relying just on engine (exhaust) heat for the last couple of miles or so of your journey.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32407

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Shed17 on 15 August 2005

It could be that the aircon has not been used and there has been a build up of mould and stuff (technical term)

You can get an aerosol which kills off this and feshens everything up. Sorry cannot remember the name but a search on google should give the answer.
Don't know if this works in reality, but I've been told that to cure a mouldy smell from the aircon/heating system if you put the heating on it's top setting, and leave the car idling for around 10 minutes, the heat will be enough to kill off bacteria in the system. Not advisable to be in the car at the same time though unless you are looking to lose some weight!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32409

Surely he can't mean the normal 'aroma' of heat exchangers? :wink:

It can come as a shock if you're used to more 'modern' car heating systems.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32413

I would get it checked out. If your heat exchangers are leaking it is possible that you are getting exhasut gasses in the occupant compartment.

There is always a slightly different smell when you turn on the heating in a 911. If you've owned a Beetle you will be used to it. However, if the smell is unbearable then there is definitely something amiss.

pp

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32431

Thats "original" Beetle btw - not the golf in a frock. :wink:

I recently experienced the stinky aircon in my golf - the garage set off some type of chemical in the car, slapped on the aircon on recycle fand it removed the stench rather well.

It could well be the regular oil cooled smell of course.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32442

As you say the car is fine with the aircon on and only happens when trying to get heat into the car the prime suspect has to be the heat exchangers or connecting hoses (which means it is likely exhaust gases you can smell).

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32449

I concur with Pickled Piper,

As a relatively new 993 owner (10 days), I am constantly reading this forum to increase my knowledge base, and I have to say it's comforting to know that people are experiencing the same 'things' that I am.

I have explained to some people that the 993 C4S is like a 'Beetle on steriods' (maybe a bland comparison, but something some people can relate to), but that characteristic smell is close to home and my K reg bug used to emit a similar smell (except my ankles were a lot hotter). I was comforted by this and forgot all the nostalgia when I floored the pedal and engaged warp speed.

Marvellous!

Simon

993 C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32458

Thank you all for your advice, Sounds like I will have to get it checked out at the next service. I have never noticed the same smell in my brothers 964, so I think it must be a hose or the heat exchangers.

Thanks again for your help

Richard

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32513

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back