Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Sat Nav - Upgradeable?

Andy Carr

The sat nav system in the 997 runs off a DVD. In the UK you get a DVD that covers the whole of Europe. Question is, when roads change, will Porsche produce a new DVD for 997 owners to buy, or is it a case of if the technology changes then Porsche will only support the latest sat nav system.

A brief conversation with a Porsche dealer suggested the latter, but I just can't believe Porsche would be that stupid - surely!?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30641

They will continue to sell new discs until the system becomes obsolete. For example, the original PCM is no longer supported by Porsche, i.e. no new discs.

I'm sure there must be commonality between discs though; I can't imagine the disc software companies do different ones for all manufacturers plus their own in house systems- it may be the case that you can buy one from the original publisher in the future.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30647

I cant remember whether its Navteq or a similar company, but the discs are normally made under license. I have 2001 Range Rover and was able to get the 2004/5 discs for their 'own' system. I would assume that this will be the same.

Check the Disc pack, and the name of the manufacturer should be there somewhere

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30653

Total 911 wrote an article about this situation. (Jul 05)

They seem to suggest owners may be better off to pass on the PCM and get an individual cell phone and the Pionneer AVIC-X1.

Good luck.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30660

Thanks for the replies, sounds like there might be a solution if the discs are produced by someone else other than Porsche.

Re the article in Total 911 - that option only exists for the 996 as the 997 has everything built into the PCM screen and you cannot (easily) install any other system.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30707

Andy

The answer is yes.... these systmes have updates as they are built by others and Porcshe just stick their badge on the front... whether it is Becker, Blaupunkt, etc etc

so what you need to work out is who makes actually the system you have .. i.e. your current disc will reveal all.....

the original PCM system was old technology dropped by all... so fell by the side....

you just need to keep an eye on the sat nav market.... as these suppliers see the value in the huge market of current owners looking for updates to their current pieces of kit !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30710

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back