Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Handbrake

Jonathan Meadows

Had a hell of a scare this weekend after parking up at a service station. I'd just bought a used 996 and was taking it for a spin, I'd parked on a slight incline, put the car in neutral ( engine still running ) and applied the hand brake, while I checked the map. Looked up to realise that I was rolling forward as if the handbrake wasn't gripping at all.

Admittedly not a mechanical genius but I expect that when the handbrake is on, it's ON. After I repositioned the car and switched the engine off all seemed to be ok. Is this indeed a sign that the hand brake is trashed or this a known but scary issue? Always leaving the car in gear from now on!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28641

Hi Jonathan.

I have a similar issue with my 996. Seems there is a final click to which you can pull the handbrake with quite a bit of effort. The girlfriend can't manage it which is something of a worry I have to say....

In your case the handbrake system could simply need bleeding or the cable adjusted.

Pete

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28645

Not sure this helps but my 993 handbrake is the same...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28646

My 993 is always parked in gear as the handbrake is exactly as you describe, if you dont get it to that final 'click' its not effective.

Maxy M you know what im thinking.......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28653

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back