Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 lights - again

Maxy M

Barcelona
Just had a thought. So there are separate bulbs for high and low beam... Maybe JZ fitted the Silver Stars for high beam - which could be why I thought they were unimpressive.

If so, I could tranfer the SSs to the low beam, right? Assuming the fitments are the same? I'll investigate tonight, but in the meantime any info gratefully received.

Another thing. My sidelights look a bit dim and yellow. How to improve? New external lenses? And/or are there any different bulbs I can fit?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28365

Both the high and low beams are H1 so no reason why you could not do a straight swap.

I have the silverstars on the dipped fitting. They are much better...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28367

Maxy !

it could be your actual headlamp lenses..

ok 4. steps top better light.. which I did last night......

1. Clean the inside of your headlamp lenses.. FREE

2. Beam adjustment.. FREE, although tricky to adjust if you have to keep taking out the lamps ! and painful (!)

3. Fit Osram Silverstar bulbs.... circa £20

or the biggest improvement without going to xenons

4. Fit new 993 headlamps lenses.. cost £110-£140, depending on the source = for me a hugh improvement !

I took some pics of the new v old lenses last night = made a hugh difference ! as my old ones were very old & tired.. going a bit yellow inside..

next stage is fitting actual HID Xenons.. which is about £225 for the kit and fitting DIY = Free or up to £100 for a Pro (and no, not that kind of Pro!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28368

unlikely JZ fitted the bulbs to the wrong bulb.. as getting to the high beam is near impossible unless you have Jacko fingers..... !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28369

Cheers, guys.

Sundeep, new headlamp lensesand/or HIDs: you gotta be kidding. The Boss would kill me! :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28370

although compared to old.. it makes the car look NEW .. and for 108 notes from Jasmine Porsche a well worth upgrade..

of course that depends on the condition of your old ones..... remember my car is 9 years & 99k miles old ! so mine were looking a bit tired......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28372

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxy M on 13 May 2005

Another thing. My sidelights look a bit dim and yellow. How to improve? New external lenses? And/or are there any different bulbs I can fit?
There was a discussion on the forum some time ago about improving these side lights.
There is a BMW bulb that replaces the Porsche ones and is 10 instead of 4 watts. The part number is for the BMW part is 63-31-1-375-003

I used them in my previous 993 and the improvement was very noticeable. Unfortunately I've lost the "before and after" pics I took at the time, but it was worth doing. Haven't got round to doing it in the new car yet and as I rarely use it at night without the headlights on, don't know if I'll bother again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28382

Thanks Martin. Sounds like a trip to the BM dealer soon...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28385

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxy M on 13 May 2005

Anonher thing. My sidelights look a bit dim and yellow. How to improve? New external lenses? And/or are there any different bulbs I can fit?
mine also had this problem.....

replaced with new Phillips Blue Vision Side lights (which aren't blue) but a more whiter and crisper light at the same watts...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28387

OK, latest and last in saga. Did a spot of investigating took out RH headlamp. Why is bulb loose in holder? No retaining clip. What's that loose thing tinkling inside the lens cavity? Retaining clip. Thanks a bunch JZ...

Thanks to a bit of dextrous work with artery forceps (Mick will approve!), clip extracted and is now doing its proper job.

Result? RH dipped beam no longer directed at offside kerb, overall alignment seems good enough, and light is GOOD! Better than original. Result.

So Osram Silver Stars DO get the MM seal of approval. Next week: those sidelights, per posts above.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28409

about time !

how about a smaller sig pic for your next trick ! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28413

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 13 May 2005

how about a smaller sig pic for your next trick ! :wink:
Well it is a bit embarrassingly large. Of course, I keep being told that.... (But hey, don't you like my car?) I did ask Noony to reduce it (the image) but he's been too busy with study/booze/women/drugs lately. :wink:

Do I just reduce it with my cheapo non-Photoshop software and re-upload? Or should I just wait until I take some new pics once the car's been Zymoled (YES, soon!)? 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28423

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back