Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993: that big black exclamation mark

today my new headlamp lenses arrived from Jasmine Porsche, which will make a difference... and that's pretty much all I can do, apart from fitting those xenons !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28327

Get a set of H1 HIDs off ebay and fit them yourself.

Better light and the xenon look!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28341

I fitted a HID conversion kit a few weeks ago.
The difference is amazing.
Not only is the immediate environment a lot brighter but the reflective range is fantastic – good for picking out the reflective strips on those pesky cyclists and pedestrians' clothing. Definitely a safety feature!

With no previous experience, I fitted the kit myself which took me around two hours in total.
If I had to do the job again I would probably knock half an hour off now that I know what the job entails.

The key is to buy a good quality kit.
I bought a Kaixen conversion kit made in
Korea
. Of the kits I have considered it looks to be the best quality, certainly better than some kits manufactured in
China
The installation is really neat and any DIYer could do it.
The kit comes with H1 35W burners, ballast boxes, replacement 20A fuses, connection cables with quality grommets, sticky pads and cable ties – all neatly packaged. I have included a link to the website but navigating the site is probably more difficult than fitting the damned things!

[u:pSTKqE9vDW]

This is my guide to fitting them:

I started off by flipping the levers which push out the light units, removed the rear plastic covers and removed the halogen bulb. The next job was to remove the burners from their covers and clip them into the bulb apertures – they have the same fitting as the H1 bulbs. .
So far so good.

The next stage was the trickiest, drilling a 22mm hole in the rear plastic cover.
After much measuring and offering up I drilled a hole using the mould release nib as my centre point.
I used a proper hole cutter for a really neat job. I then fed the connector wires through the hole and fitted the grommet. Then, on the headlight side of the cover, connected the existing power and earth wires to the new coupler wires and refitted the plastic rear cover.

I then wrapped the ballast box in bubble wrap (which conveniently was surplus packaging) and secured it with the cable ties and wedged the box using the sticky pads between the wing and the headlight supporting bracket to achieve a snug, and secure fit. All that remained was to connect the two wires from the ballast box to the connecting cable and change the headlight fuses in the fuse box in the front compartment.
Carefully slide the headlamp assembly back into position and lock off the levers.
Hey presto.
Note, the area behind the nearside headlight is much more restricted as the oil radiator is close by but with a bit of jiggling the ballast box will fit.

The installation is reversible although you will be left with two holes in the back of the plastic covers behind the lights but these can be covered over to ensure protection against water penetration if you do decide to remove the HIDs at a later stage.

My only issue is that on the 993 two H1 kits would be required to convert both high and low beam.
I have converted low beam only and there was a notable difference in the colour between the HID, standard halogen bulbs and the sidelights which both look yellow in comparison.
I have rectified this by fitting Silverstar bulbs and now it looks really good. For a 964 a H4 will do I think.

Hope this is helpful.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/HID.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28349

I note you wrapped the ballast boxes up in bubble wrap.

Did you check the operating temperature of the ballast boxes first?

I am wondered if you might have inadventently wrapped up a couple of potential fireballs.

I'll be very glad - for your Insurance company's sake! - if you tell me I'm wrong.

If you haven't already been out for a long run of several hours at night, may I suggest you do so ASAP and when you get to your destination, immediately and carefully unwrap and inspect both the bubble wrap and the ballast box for heat damage.

Cheers!

Robert

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28350

Robert

Crikey, you had me worried, ' just come back from work to read your comments - dashed into the garage and checked both lights.

I forgot that I wrapped them in foam not bubble wrap but still combustable I know. Unwrapped both and there is no sign of any heat distortion or discolouring whatsoever on the foam.

I have run the car for a couple of hours at night on several occasions so I reckon I'm safe but as a precaution have removed the foam just in case. Still a snug fit though.

Cheers for the advice.

TT

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28400

Toby

If the ballasts do generate heat, then they are best left uncovered as this will be how they have been designed to work: I know I am stating the obvious, but sometimes, in the heat of the moment [pun intended!] we can forget this, so I am relieved to read that all is well.

Cheers!

Robert

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28407

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Toby Tyke on 12 May 2005

I used a proper hole cutter for a really neat job. I then fed the connector wires through the hole and fitted the grommet. Then, on the headlight side of the cover, connected the existing power and earth wires to the new coupler wires and refitted the plastic rear cover.

All that remained was to connect the two wires from the ballast box to the connecting cable and change the headlight fuses in the fuse box in the front compartment.
Toby.. great instructions !

3 questions... where do the new power wires that feed from the ballast unit feed to ? also through the grommet to the headlamps existing power source ? or to the battery...

unless I misread, where exact did you place the ballast units and which way did the cable go to get the the back of the headlamp unit ?

you changed the fuse ? didn't realise one had to !? and to what rating

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28415

I ask as there seem to be so many variations of the same kit in terms of the wiring arrangement.... as the following is what I saw on the net, but not quite the kit I bought !

below from a bi-xenon installation... but not the same as my kit ! as these seem to be early units that required seperate ignitors !

http://www.h-i-d.co.uk/installation.shtml

Typical dipped and high beam installation on a Porsche 993
001.jpg

002.jpg

1. Front storage area, de-carpeted and headlamp units removed, ready for installation.
2. Ballast units fitted to chassis leg within front storage space.
003.jpg

004.jpg

3. Nearside headlamp unit with Xenon capsules and igniters fitted.
4. Offside lamp unit re-fitted to wing.
005.jpg

006.jpg

5. Ballast units fitted offside and near side.
6. View into offside wing, showing location of igniter units for this side, using existing threaded earth point as mounting.
The finished article
porschebefore.jpg

porscheafter.jpg

hid dipped beam on
hid dipped and high beams on

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28416

Sundeep,

Your kit is very similar to mine although I have longer wires to play with. The wiring is very simple, you connect the existing power leads within the headlight unit to the new connector wires - on my kit they were the same fittings so I did not have to put new connectors on. The new connector wires then loop through the grommet fitted in hole drilled in the plastic back cover of the light to the ballast box then back through the grommet to the burners.

On the offside, I put the ballast box between the wing and the metal bracket which holds the plastic supporting stuff for the headlight. The box is stuck in place with pads and cable ties. On the nearside the ballast box sits to the back of the headlight unit above all the pipes which I think are for the aircon.

20A fuses came with the kit and it recommends that they are swapped with the originals. Whist the HIDs consume less power I think there is a surge to the ballast boxes when the lights are first turned on. I'm no expert here but that is what the instructions told me.

I have only converted the dipped beam and to convert the high beam I would have to install second kit. The other example you show has double ballast boxes and hence both dipped and high beams are converted. I understand that 964 owners may only have to buy one kit as they have H4 bulbs but again folks should check this.

Here are a few pics of the finished installation:

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMGP0478.JPG

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMGP0477.JPG

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMGP0476.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28426

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back