Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What to do ?

Fuchs

Baku
ok chaps - here is the problem. Im fed up using my C2 in the winter what with all the snow we get here. I've been contemplating getting a "winter" car i.e a golf. i have space to store a car at work and have a garage at home for whatever season car im using at the time.

But to be honest the thought of maintaining 2 cars, in addition to the wifes car doesnt fill me with much joy.

Has anyone here gone down this road - i'm concerned that whatever car im not using is going to deteriorate whilst its not being used and i am concerned that im just setting myself up for more hassle.i have visions of flat tyres, flat batteries etc.

IMO - cars always seem to run better / stay in a better condition if they are used regulary.

So if anyone has any comments i'd like to hear them, especially any tips for hassle free longish term storage.

The other alternative is to trade in the c2 for a c4 - does anyone have any experience of using a c4 in the snow/ ice etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27587

just buy a cheap runaround and then you dont have to look after it then use the porsche on nice days

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27589

I did exactly what FR just said. Bought a Fiat Seicento to go to work and to the supermarket etc, and when the weather is ok, or when I don't mind cleaning the 993, then I'll use it. As long as you use it relatively frequently, it should be fine. I find myself using my 993 more than once a wk even in winter in UK.

You need a "disposable" car to fly around with so you don't have to pay too much time and money to keep.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27590

for such conditions where you live, a C4 is better but still has the same lack of stopping power in snow... unless you run it on snow tyres which help but even so it kind of defeats the object....!

my advise is to stick the c2 for the good dry days.. no point in losing / chopping a car you already love... and get an Audi A2-3-4-6 with quattro or a 4-motion Golf.... running costs aren't so much and it will do a better job in bad weather.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27591

sundep - between december - april all cars here have to run snow tyres - otherwise if you have a crash and its due to snow/ ice your Insurance is void - :eek:

so the C2 runs on winter tyres - 35 profile snow tyres !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27593

Warren

I had my 964 Cab when in Zurich and only used it April to November, and when there wasnt any snow on the ground during the crisp sunny days. I never found the snow at town level bad enough to keep the car locked up more than 2 weekends if that. The battery draining only happens when you leave it alarmed to the teeth. Unless there's been a huge change since I was there, underground comunual garages provide enough security combined with the honesty of folks all around not to have to leave the car alarmed. I had the 911, a Disco for the family, and a run-about, which I gave up on eventually cos the trains/trams are so bloomin good for the few months when the weather was inclement.

Dont out the 911, you know you'll regret it :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27599

get the new fiat panda 4x4 it should up the new range rover on top gear last week and its £45000 cheaper

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27602

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ferrari's rule on 25 April 2005

get the new fiat panda 4x4 it should up the new range rover on top gear last week and its £45000 cheaper
so what do YOU do in those wintery yorkie months ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27604

decision,decisions,decisions :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27626

Spring is coming, presumably even to Switzerland. Put the decision off and get out in the 911. You know it makes sense!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27627

Richard - that is exactly what happens every year - i suffer through winter, by march i have decided definately that i'm not going to ever use the 911 in the winter again, along comes spring, i start to get out more in the 911, do a few mountain passes, and by october i've re-convinced myself that"it wont be that bad using the 911 in winter"!!!!! Along comes the snow and the whole process starts again. I walk into the office every morning white as a sheet with half the seat hanging from my trousers. :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27629

ok chaps - i took some of your advice and on Saturday i checked out my local VW emporium. and ended up buying a golf VR6. so all my winter driving problems are sorted.

Then in the afternoon myself and my 928s4 owning neighbout went out for a spin, we intended to go over the Klausenpass, but it was still blocked at the summit with snow, so we just went to lake lucerne and back. Wow - what a drive!! some rather high speeds were seen, but not once did i feel concerned and the car just seemed to be taking it all in its stride. When we got home my neighbour said" i just couldnt keep up with you". :twisted:

So to re-cap; my appreciation for my car and its abilities have been strengthened and i now dont need to worry about it in the winter.

A top weekend. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27908

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back