Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Noisy alternator

Maxy M

Barcelona
From time to time when I start up the alternator sounds a bit screechy, like something is dry or a maybe a bearing is on the way out. Disappears after a decent run.

I'm not TOO bothered by it and will mention it to JZ when the car goes in to have a few little things put right at the end of the month. But in the meantime, anyone got a view?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26473

Belt squeak - in my opinion caused by a stretched belt - lubricate with talcum powder or chalk.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26475

surely it would be better to replace the belt? if it is stretched ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26480

Interesting. I've checked the belts. All look in good nick and nice and tight. Experimenting with talc is cheap enough.

What about Warren's point, though?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26482

maybe the talc idea is just a temporary solution?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26487

Maxy,

It may be the fan roller bearings, they are prone to squeal a little, have had this problem myself and noticed it mainly when the engine had just been fired up, disappeared after a run.

You can lubricate the bearings, have a look at
http://p-car.com/diy/roller/

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26493

Cheers, John. I'll investigate.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26503

This happens intermittently on my 96 993 C2, instant cure is a quick squirt of WD40 in the general direction of the alternator/fan belt. Spray grease provides a more permanent fix but don't do it with the engine running unless you want a very spotty shirt!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26547

Thanks fellas. The p-car fix loks a bit involved. WD40 sounds like an easier - if temporary - fix. But everything is running quietly currently...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26765

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back