Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Importing to Australia

Geraldine Hayes

Can anyone provide me me some information on costs etc. involved in importing a Porsche from the UK to Australia.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25192

if your looking to export a LHD to Oz, then your going to have lots of probs - they ONLY want RHD cars on their roads.

Just my 2 p's worth.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25199

Geraldine

I have looked into this as I will be moving to Oz in the next year or so. The actuall costs of importing from the UK to Oz are cheap, the expensive part is the Oz import duty. The cheapest way is to do a personal import, but this means you have to own the car for at least a year in the original country, this is ok for me, but may be harder for you.

The actual costs of shipping the car are around £1000 (AUD$2500). It takes about 5 weeks for the car to arrive. I am looking at shipping my RS there, but no keen on it been on a boat for 5 weeks, so am currently looking at air freight. Which sounds expensive but not as expensive as you'd think.

Cheers Sean

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25205

Holy cow!! Sean, airfreighting a car to Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It cost me $400 to airfreight some spares from the US a month ago and those only weighed 5kg and fit into a 2-foot cube box!

To be honest, I'd be more worried about the car travelling by air than water - have you seen how they treat your luggage at the airport! I shipped a Dodge Ram pickup from the US last year, it was at sea for about a month (Houston to Southampton via Rotterdam) and was absolutely fine. Cost about £800 fully insured.

James.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25207

I work for an international logistics company now - trust me - airfreight is safe - sea freight a wee bit scary!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25210

Yeah, I was being facetious, airfreight is safe... but they do know how to charge for the service!

BTW, don't know whether this is a myth, but when I was importing my truck from the States, I spoke to a guy who said that the shipping lanes are full of containers which have just been washed off the side of ships by big waves. Apparently they float just below the surface of the water and get bashed out of the way by passing ships! No-one is that bothered as everything is insured but just think, there could be all sorts out there floating about... like Sean's RS!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25212

Story told to me by a local traffic cop who used to be in the army

Colonel in Germany bought a New M5,they buy them vat free over there and can import them into the uk

He gets a free flight to the Uk on a Hercules with the car on the condition that if anything happens they push the car out the back door

No one will insure the flight but nothings going to happen is it?

half way acroos the north sea, the plane suffers 2 engine failures

The colonel orders the crew not to do it

But they push a brand new M5 out th e back door

I'm not sure if its a sick joke or a true story

Mark Pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25232

You will also need to get the speedo changed to km/h rather than mph. If you send me your email address then I can send on all the Documentation which I received from Australia House a few years ago. In fact they may even have all the info in PDF format on their website. As Sean says you need to have owned the car for at least a year to get heavy discounts on import duty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25345

I am a broker for one of the largest private shipowners in the world.

We own about 50 container ships but I can't help anyone out as the ships are on hire to the big liner companies - we just own and manage the ships. I can confirm that in bad weather containers do get blown/washed off. It is not that common and certainly not accepted but yes it can and does happen.

(I keep the Chemical Tankers employed)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25351

I beleive I ca have it shipped by air for 3500. I'm not sure whether I will do it,as I will do less track days in Oz. So a track biased car isn;t necessary.

I keep thinking of swapping for a GT2 or a M3 CSL. But the thought of selling an RS where I am the only owner is hard. I have to decided soon as I have to own the car for 12 months before shipping it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25356

PS Don;t give me nightmares the thought of an RS bobbing around the Atlantic in a container scares me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25357

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back