Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo Manual vs Tip

moto

Trainee
G'day, just wondering if anyone's had the pleasure of driving both the Manual and Tip version of the 996 Turbo.

I have been looking for one for a while now and have always wanted a Manual. But last weekend i sat in the Turbo S (manual) at the East London OPC and couldn't believe how hard the clutch was! I thought i was on the brake pedal!

The clutch on all other 996/3s I've tried are much less stiff! Is it just a new car thing or is it a turbo thing. Cos if it's a turbo thing, i'm seriously gonna have to look for a tipronic instead!

cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25091

go to the gym - :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25092

Funny you should mention that. Have just started going again.

But have to fight with the ladies to go on the calf and thigh machines :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25098

but you only need to work out one leg - tell them you only need it for half the time - or just be like me - one arnie sized leg and one stick leg - :oops:

When i had my 3.2 carrera, which had a v stiff / heavy clutch, the other half drive it occasionally, but complained a little bit about it - when she first drove my 993 she nearly put the pedal throught the floor, expecting it to be as stiff as the 3.2 - ooops - sorry about that.

I suppose it depends on what you are used to - if you are coming from a "normal" car, then the clutch in any 911 will seem heavy and i guess the turbo is stiffer than a regular 911, due to the extra power? You will get used to it - but i wouldnt want to drive into central london every day with a manual - :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25100

Hm... that's the problem. I AM a bloody londoner. even worse than that, i'm a weekend driver which means i'm likely to get stuck quick a lot in traffic.

I know it's probably weird but i just love the sensation of changing gear with a stick! (especially from fourth to second while cornering)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25101

in that case try another man turbo, to see if the one you tried was a "one - off".

You cant beat a well executed gearchange 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25102

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by moto on 04 March 2005

I know it's probably weird but i just love the sensation of changing gear with a stick! (especially from fourth to second while cornering)
Moto, is this a wind-up??!! You should never change gear while cornering... :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25107

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxy M on 04 March 2005

Previous poster said:

Moto, is this a wind-up??!! You should never change gear while cornering... :eek:

but in london you ain't going that fast..

btw.. if it was me I would get the manual :D
and be the legend !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25143

ok ok! i mean shifting down to turn! >tut< :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25191

Previous poster said:

But last weekend i sat in the Turbo S (manual) at the East London OPC and couldn't believe how hard the clutch was! I thought i was on the brake pedal!
A bit late I know, but can I assume the engine was switched off when you pressed the clutch? If it's the same as a 993Turbo then it has a hydraulic clutch and they can be stiff, impossible almost to depress if the engine is off.

Sorry if you already knew.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25582

Cheers for the info.

i really should get me 4rse down to the dealership to test drive it instead of guessing!

i'd be mightily relieved if the clutch'd be softer when the engine's on!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25773

Two other things - maybe the 'S' has a stiffer clutch than the Turbo??

Also, if the car had mileage on it, the 993's clutch action gets stiffer as it wears - maybe the car you sat in has suffered some abuse?

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25786

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back