Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smoke when starting

Toby Low

Hi - any help much appreciated. I have noticed over the past couple of days that my 1986 3.2 has been putting out a fair amount of smoke when I first start up. It does not last for long and the car seems to be running well. I have also noticed that the car seems to rev surgingly between 800 and 1300 revs when you first start it up. I am guessing this could all be related to the recent cold snap - but I am worried that it could be something serious. Any ideas?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24914

by design the flat six boxer engine allows a certain amount of oil to seep past the piston rings - upon starting up the engine the oil is then burnt off. This is more pronounced if you have parked on a slope. If you think it is an excessive amount then it always worth getting it checked by an independent.

Just a thought - its not just the white smoke that appears when the weather gets cold is it ?

As for the rev surging - my 3.2 did exactly the same thing and so does my 993.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24916

Thanks for that. Yes, I had though that it might be just the cold weather, but smoking engines scare the hell out of me so I just wanted to be sure that it is not something serious.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24917

I have a 2002 996TT with 12K miles which does the same thing. Use to worry me too but everyone that I have talked to says it is normal.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25634

You might want to take a look at rennlist where there is a similar discussion going on with respect to the smoke at start up. See

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=191531

There has also been some discussion on there re. the unstable idle on start up. Only thing that you have to remember is that some of what they discuss isn't relevant to us as we don't have catalytic convertors thus no 02 sensor.

I have a 1988 3.2 and I don't get any surging but mine really only gets driven at weekends, so no really cold starts.

Steven

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25642

depends on what colour the smoke is if its blue you have a little problem if its white its just condensation

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25697

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back