Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking at 993 Tiptronic..

Daniel

Hi Guys,

Going to view a 95/N 993 carrera S on tuesday, I have never wanted the tiptronic gearbox, but this one has it !!!!!

As anyone ever heard of any thing going wrong with this gear box ? and whats the re-sale like on them?

Car has done 64,000 miles, 3 owners, RHD, Silver.

Cheers

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24818

I had one for 2 and a bit years, and like you Daniel, didnt have it on the 'must have' list but it 'came with'. Unless caned they are rumoured to be bulletproof and I certainly never had any problems with mine. I drove it virtually full time in Tip mode rather than auto, but Mrs Hendo was very happy with auto. I grew to appreciate it more every time I got caught in traffic for a protracted period, remembering the fun times with the old manual when I would have to pull over and club my foot against the kerb to get the blood flowing again. I'm sure the purists dont like it but my driving style was never going to be threatened and once used to it, pinging up and down still gets the engine singing and the concentration levels alerted. I actually made it a must have on the move (up??) to the C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24824

Think Hendo's right about reliability. Shouldn't be an issue. But I suspect you'll pay more for a Tip.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24826

Daniel - The Carrera 2 or 4 S is the wide bodied car made from 1997 onwds.

Don't confuse or let the advertisers confuse you with Tiptronic S which is the gearbox..... not the Body -

Widebody : 2 and 4 S in RHD in good nick go from £35000/43000

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24831

Previous poster said:
Quote: But I suspect you'll pay more for a Tip.

When I was shopping for mine I found the Tip's cheaper in general.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24832

Thank you,

Its Not the wide body ! (although thats my wish for Car)

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24839

Tiptronic is fine,although if you live in the country then a manual would be a better choice.Living in London I find the Tiptronic a great boon in slow moving traffic.As for resale, I feel that a Tiptronic will sell better in a city environment,elsewhere a manual will probably make better money.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24841

IMO with the tiptro there is the added advantage that the likelihood of someone really 'thrashing' the car before you is that much slimmer. At any rate, you won't need a new clutch.

Anyone ever heard of a Porsche torque convertor stuffing up?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24850

I drove a 993 Targa Tip S a while ago. I liked it much more than I expected to, but I did not like the spacing of the gears- only 4 of course where the manual has 6. Fun pressing the buttons on the wheel, and it is a very effective system.

Somehow the manual was more appealing to me- more responsive (no torque-converter slur effect), faster, and sounds better. But that is only IMHO.

Tiptronics are popular, esp in 996s and I think a tip will always have a ready market.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24970

IMHO

the older a car gets the less popular a tiptronic becomes,

The newer a car is the populat tips are, theyre owned by richer business types

the older they become the more they are owned by enthusiasts who want a manual gearbox,

if you follow adverts IMHO older tips are worth less than manuals and take longer to sell because the enthusiasts are looking for a manual car, even in central london

Mark Pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24972

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 02 March 2005

IMHO

the older a car gets the less popular a tiptronic becomes,

The newer a car is the populat tips are, theyre owned by richer business types

the older they become the more they are owned by enthusiasts who want a manual gearbox,

if you follow adverts IMHO older tips are worth less than manuals and take longer to sell because the enthusiasts are looking for a manual car, even in central london

Mark Pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk

exactly !

remember if you want slush forget the tiptronic get a slush puppy... :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25021

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back