Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 engine worries

Colin McBride

I have been browsing and soaking up everything I can about the 964, 993 and 996 models now for about a month and am just about to make the plunge. I have a hankering for a 1999 996, but have this nagging feeling that there is a history of 996 engine blow-ups that lies hidden in the murky depths.

Is an early 996 an engine risk. I've worked on engines since I was 13 years old, but have been trying to avoid it in the last couple of years. The thought of spending 30k on a 911, only to have the damn thing blow up and everybody saying "should have bought a 993" makes me shiver........plus the grief I would get from the missus.

Is it a big risk....or is it overstated.

Colin.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24608

It is no risk at all. There are lots of worries about the RMS, but this has never caused an engine to fail, the worse that happens is you get oil on the clutch plates. Check out pistonheads there is more info there.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24611

I recently bought a 2000 996 with 30k up on the clock.

I wouldn't have entertained buying one without a Porsche warranty from a Porsche dealer. I can enjoy it that way - if it goes bang it's covered, and you can always threaten to park it outside his front gate and set fire to it and invite the motoring media along....

But seriously, I can't think of a reason not to spend £725 a year for a Porsche warranty for peace of mind (priceless.) These are £60k cars and they need looking after and a proper warranty. If you can't afford the warranty then the car is too much risk - you certainly can't afford £11k for a new engine.

Buy one, I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. But pay top whack, get the Porsche warranty, and treat her gently when she's cold and you'll be fine.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24619

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sean Dudding on 22 February 2005

It is no risk at all. There are lots of worries about the RMS, but this has never caused an engine to fail, the worse that happens is you get oil on the clutch plates. Check out pistonheads there is more info there.
I must have misunderstood the RMS problem... is there another issue, i.e why do so many 996's need new engines, or at the very least very expensive repair work to rectify the 'engine problem'?

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24622

Have a look at the '996 engine problems' thread in Problems. Seems engines do fail - and nothing to do with the RMS (but even that's a tidy sum to fix). The risk is v low but it's there nevertheless.

See also Q&A in 911&PW this month. Guy driving along and suddenly clouds of white smoke from exhaust and instant drop in oil pressure. Reason/daignosis: loss of blanking plug on block led to loss of oil - but no engine damage.

So why the clouds of white smoke then??? :(

Seems 996 Turbos and GT2/3s are immune.

What's the real story? Go figure...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24646

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back