Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do I Buy It ?

The rumour is that these things often need a rebuild around 120-130k miles so I guess the difference between 79k and 99k, although the car might 'feel' the same', is that you're 20k miles closer to a £6k bill! But then I'm sure you've got as much chance of buying a motor which needs the rebuild at 80k if you're not careful.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24806

How many of you 993 drivers on here have had an Engine re-build ? and what sort of money did it cost and at what mileage was it carried out ?

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24807

Hi Daniel,

If you can extend another £2-3k, I would go for a lower mileage car. If you are only planning to drive 2-3000mi p.a. AND planning to NOT keep the car indefinitely, I would buy with the considerations of a future buyer (ie, always prefers lower miles, colour, spec, etc). The fact that you are not planning to keep the car for a long/indefinite time means that resale is going to be more important than just the low cost now. Low cost now, but come resale time, it's even more distressing not being able to FIND a buyer who is willing to buy a then-12-13 year old supercar (with associated costs of potential repairs) with over 100k on the clock.

If you can afford a 993 now, then spend the extra £2-3k and find the lowest mileage car possible. Imho, with each successive year on an older car, the lowest mileage will maintain values as older/higher mileage cars are written off unless a hobbyist wants to burn a LOT of cash rebuilding/rejuvenating/etc an old and tired car. I think the most desirable cars in a few years time will be low mileage 993TTs and S's.

I think there is a HUGE psychological barrier as 100k miles are approached/breached. Just my $0.02.

(btw, I went through exactly the same predicament as you and ended up going with a more pricey, but much lower mileage/right colour car. I'm glad I did as I see a LOT of higher mileage/tired 993s which simply aren't selling at dealers. The low mileage 993s, however, sell like hotcakes and always command a premium amongst the diminishing few who are looking for a 993)

Cheers -

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25037

Thank you for the advise,

So if it was you. a 96-97 car with 5 owners and 60k miles, is better than a 2 owner car with 99k miles ?

Keep the advise coming.................. :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25040

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel Sait on 03 March 2005
Thank you for the advise,
So if it was you. a 96-97 car with 5 owners and 60k miles, is better than a 2 owner car with 99k miles ?
Keep the advise coming.................. :lol:

If the price differential is £2-3k and the car is in the right colour/spec with FSH... DEFINITELY YES.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25043

In fact - all things being equal, I would be willing to pay more than a £3k premium for 40k fewer miles.

Put it this way - 40k miles is more mileage than what my car has done in the past 8 years of motoring...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25044

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back