Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 997 S Cabriolet

birdOS

Can anyone help!!!
I have a March build 997 carrera s cab which will arrive second week in April and until Friday i can change the spec from manual to tiptronic.
Problem is i just don't know which to go for although I live in London i have not had any problems with a manual box before but have heard such good things about Porsche's tip box.
Help, Help, Help any suggestions.
PS. Pics will be on the way as soon as it arrives.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24279

it's really a personal choice..

although for a Cab, a tip would prob' be the choice.. summer crusing et al.... verses the racing manual... most cab's I've ever seen are tip's...

what car do you have at the moment....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24280

Personal decision - you must preferably drive both back to back - your OPC should have one of each test cars available -

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24284

Go for for the manual box. The only time I will move to a Tip is when Porsche bring out their version of the DSG. The 997 Turbos will be first to have it. Enjoy the car when you get it. I would also arrange for the car to be Zymoled once it arrives in Reading.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24285

i think i might just do the tip but am trying both again tomorrow only prob is i am driving a coupe and not the new cab!
I guess the extra money does not matter when your spending so much. Can you still get the sport chrono with the tip?
What is Zymoled i'm new to the Porsche game!
Cheers again for the help...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24294

Of forgot to say just have a 330CI Sport at the moment! Something that can get bashed around in London but its time for something special now. Only problem i have had with the Beemer is that ita only 10 months old and from £41k new its just been valued for P/X at £23,500 ouch...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24312

Yeah - the depreciation on newish cars is horrendous - to be fair if you want to avoid it you need to go second-user Porsche - 993's only lose something like 1k each year now - rare ones can go up if carefully maintained....

Do you want to sell it out of hand??

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24317

My last 996 was a tip - never again. Manual all the way. I think if you drive both for a week you will definitely prefer the manual box. The tiptro is convenient but it makes a great car feel a bit boring - again, best to try but my next car will be a manual - even in central Tokyo!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24319

My first 996 was a tip - lasted about three months - and the only problem with it was the tip gearbox. I have a 996 cab manual now - changing to the manual was the best decision I made.

If you enjoy driving - be it in a coupe or cab - I would go manual everytime and twice on Sunday!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24329

Does the 997 have a 6 speed tip? A big weakness of the tip boxes is that you are a gear down on a 6 speed manual.

Tiptronics don't sound quite so satisfying- autoboxes slur the changes and remove the immediacy of the throttle response.

I think if you are happy with driving a manual in the city, which you have said you are, then to buy the tiptronic would be to rob yourself of a big part of the pleasure of driving a sports car IMO.

Stay manual

ps. Zymol is a very nice wax finish- a bit pricey, but will finish your new car off beautifully!

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24330

Right the votes have been counted and verified and the winner is....

The manual box!

After a long drive out in both cars today i just could not get over how good the manual was dropping down from third to second for a tight corner and then the torque from the 3.8 was awesome!

I even got the okay for the red seat belts and dials (they thought with it being so late in the day i might not be able to have them).

So Basalt black with wheels in exteriors colour to match it is!

It arrives in the first batch second week in April don't think i will be able to sleep.

Oliver

PS. Where can i get a Zymol wax coat on the car or do you have to do the Karate Kit wax on wax off treatment on your own?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24335

Good choice! sounds like a great spec. You will of course find that time slows exponentially as the delivery date approaches!

There are plenty of folks who will Zymol your car for you for a fee, see anyone on
http://www.zdouk.com/detailers.aspx
but you can do it yourself if you like that sort of thing. Your neighbours will think you have gone nuts, but it the wax-on-wax-off routine is good for your car-ma (ha ha)

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24361

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back