Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So why buy a 993 over a 996 ?

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 10 February 2005
of course depends on your 'budget' in the 1st instance......

Less and less so from what Ive seen the 996's seem to be dropping very close to 993 territory.

my 2cents, I think the 993 looks better, more sleek and purposeful. However Ive never driven a 996 so cant comment on usability, driveability, etc.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24043

then again put it this way......are you after

i) a Porsche

ii) a 911

iii) a 993

3 options but all very different :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24047

I've seen two 996 C4S' in the past 24 hours and what a nice looking car they are. Friend of mine has just told me that he has put his lightly used example up for sale at £55K which doesn't seem too bad until you start looking at Turbo prices.

The 993 should be the best of air-cooled just because it was at the end of that engine/chassis development. It certainly looks the part but then you could compare the close to 40K being asked for late C4S' now with the 20K you'd pay for a very nice 964C4.

Budget has got to be a signifcant factor but the 996 is definately a better every day car unless you don't like the look of what had become the house look for Porsche.

Buyers guide to the 996 in 911 world was an interesting read.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24058

Agreed- 996 C4S/Turbo are both great looking cars, but not comparable in price to most 993s.

I suppose the £40k pricing of a late mint 993 C4S reflects the desirability of what many percieve to be the last and best looking of the 'proper' 911s, and I suspect is kite-flying by dealers to a certain extent.

There was one for sale at a dealer near my office- a 22k mile R reg C4S, full leather and abolutely mint, up for £39995- unquestionably the nicest 993 I've seen for sale. It took a long time (and a £1k ticket reduction) to find a home, and they have another nice example up for £35k which has been for sale for a while. The same money could buy a really nice 996.

I suspect that when someone comes in looking for a "Porsche" or a "911" and it comes to a straight fight between a 996 and a 993, the 996 wins. A top-money 993 will be bought by someone who is very particular about what they want.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24213

I just love the classic 911 styling, the design and the aircooled engine ..... I am not so keen on the look of the standard 996 Carrera and the engine problems we read so much about.

If I was going to change my C2S I would be looking for a 993 TwinTurbo over a 996 but that suits me.... I drive at weekends only, don't commute and was trained in a Caterham 7 when I was 18 so love a raw and loud driving experience.

It really is personal opinion so you need to get out there and drive as many 993 and 996 variants as you can - Manual/Tip/4 -2 etc...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24218

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back