Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PASM

Greg

Trainee
Hi

Can't get a consistant answer from Porsche so I'll try the good old forums.

Some say that PASM is only any good for track days and ultra smooth Autobahns, whilst
postamble();
others say that it actually makes the car a more comfortable ride in the normal mode compared to the standard setup. I'm talking about a 987 Boxster which I presume has the same system on the 997.

I've driven a 987 with 18" wheels which felt pretty harsh on country and city roads and I have also driven a PASM'd 987 with 19" wheels that felt very comfortable on the same roads yet well planted on the track.

The instructor with me, it was the Test Drive Plus, told me that having the PASM in Normal mode was the same as the standard suspension yet others have told me differently.

Also the debate rages wether the suspension is permanently lowered on a PASM'd car or only in the Sport Mode.

I have to finalise my spec within the next week or so and I have already gone with 18" wheels but I am tempted by PASM if it does indeed make a city drive more comfortable and not knock my fillings out.

This is a £1000 plus option but if it is as remarkable as some people say then it is worth it, but then there is more to go wrong?

Thanks for any input.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23961

I have no direct experience of PASM, but I have owned other cars with adaptive suspension- Jag XKR and Ferrari F355. The PASM system is of course more sophisticated than either, but the benefits will be the same; it removes the need for a compromise between handling and ride comfort.

Both the cars I mentioned shared the same attributes of remarkable ride comfort but with remarkable composure when pushed hard, especially over bumpy or sharply undulating surfaces. The cars stayed flatter under acceleration, braking and cornering, improving overall grip- there is a noticeable lack of 'lurch' in such situations. I was able to make a direct comparison between the Jag XKR with CATS and a standard XK8 with standard suspension and the difference was astounding, with no loss of ride comfort.

I'd suspect in fact that on a billiard-table smooth autobahn or track, then a standard 'sports' oriented system would actually have the edge. For real-world conditions however, I'd go with adaptive suspension anytime.

PASM sounds like money very well spent to me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23975

Cheers, for your input Robert.
postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24072

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back