Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VARIORAM OR NOT, help...

Daniel

Donnington
Evening all, I am looking to buy a 993.

With so many around, I am unsure if to go for a low mileage 94-95 non Varioram Engine or do i go for a 60-70-80 Mile Varioram engine ?

Is this newer engine more reliable, is there much in the way of power difference?

And i see so many vehicles with no air-con, LHD and 1000 owner vehicles, I am all up in the air about what to buy !

Having around 25-27k and in no hurry to buy the vehicle, I am looking for the right car, right ownership ect...

One last thing, am i mad thinking I may get a turbo body'ed vehicle, i have seen a few(ie-2) but nothing to make me part with my cash..

Thank you for your replies

long live the 911..

:wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23608

Judge the cars base on the condition. The vario engine will give a bit more top end power but the real benefit is the torque comes earlier in the rev range, so it feels faster on daily driving. Not the be all and end all factor. If you really want that extra oomph, re-chipping the non-vario will give similar gain. There's no difference in terms of reliability or problems as far as I know.

Your budget should get you a pretty decent RHD one, unless, like some of us, you like a LHD which has a few extra benefits as well as disadvantages. Wide body ones are still going for closer to £30k but I'm no expert. Whatever you go for, make sure you get a good PPI, and keep @£2k for unexpected repair in the first yr or so.

Stick around here and you'll get lots of info.

Cheers and good luck. Tell us how you get on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23610

Well I originally wanted a Varioram but when a good car came along I bought it, despite its having a mere 272 horses. If BHP matters - and maybe if you're going to track it - get the 13 extra, otherwise buy what's good. My 993 feels great to me.

As Mick says, it's condition that counts, not mileage (though the market still works to some degree on the basis of low miles = higher price).

But be patient, find what looks to be the right car, then get it PPI'd to check it's the good'un you think it is. The buying process is long and complex, with lots of angles to figure. But it'll be worth it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23619

When I had a non-varioram, I got over the lack of power lower down by having 9M do an ECU remap which released more power right across the rev band.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23629

Thank you for all your replies,

So in terms of colour, what good,bad and "don't do it" ?

And is A/C a must for re-sale? The car i buy will be for weekend use only as i have a Megane RS 225 company car.

I have read a lot of storys about Targa roof leaking and not working, so i want to stay away from from this(sorry all you targa drivers).

C4 or C2 ? the vehicle will never go on a track.

Rusting? I am however gonna have to leave my next baby in the outdoors, was going to get a garage built and spend 22k, but would rather a better car and leave it outside. "any views"

Thank you again for all your time in helping my get the right 993.

Dan

(WHY DO CAB'S SEEM CHEAPER?) :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23646

AC although is not the best in the world but worth having esp for re-sale reason, most buyer would want AC

C4 safer and more sure footed esp on slipery surface, C2 more fun on track and more direct steering. If your not going on track, C4 probably better bet. But then again, buy on condition. Unless you take the car to the limit, C2/C4 probably won't feel much different most of the time except the steering on C2 feels a bit lighter.

My 993 lives outside all yr round. Keep the paint waxed and cleaned regularly and there should be no problem. If it's not going to be driven for some period of time, you can always use a good cover to reduce the rust on brake discs. The car is better driven regularly anyway.

Good luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23647

Agree with Mick. Re colour, you won't see many that aren't silver, black or some shade of met blue. Plus the odd Arena Red. That'll tell you something about what's popular (and good for resale). Solid colours - Speed Yellow, Riviera Blue and good ol' Guards Red - aren't at all common, but will usually be cheaper.

If it's a solid colour on a good car and you like how it looks, why not go for it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23656

911 & Porsche world did a comprehensive buyers guide a while back. I have a great book called 911 Ultimate Portfolio (Brooklands Books) which contains road tests, and buyers guides.

But it sounds to me like you need to have a drive of a few cars, and make your own mind up. For your money, you should be able to get a great RHD Varioram car with aircon.

I bought my '96 Targa (no it doesn't leak and yes the roof works thanks!) privately after having it inspected- I reckon I saved £4k over a dealer price. Admittedly not without risk, but don't dismiss it as a possible route.

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23665

Thank you again for all your replies,

Sorry about the Targa bit, its just what i have read.

I have had again a good look round, on the net, in showrooms ect..

With nothing, it seems like when I did not have the funds there were car every where, Now looking, they have all gone..

Does anyone know why the Cab's seem to be cheaper?

please continue with all the advise, I need all the help i can get.

Daniel :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23673

Can any one shed an light on selltop.com ?

www.selltop.com

If you click on the link, go into 'Porsche cars forsale' , look at the Carrera 4 second car down on the right (Dark green one).

is this a good colour ? Does the price look good, I have left a message for them to call me to arrange to view.

any thoughts.

Daniel :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23676

I think it looks ok, but I think you will find many out there for around the same price, so as they keep saying, drive a few before buying - they all feel fantastic so it is a common thing to buy the first one you see because it feels great!

I think the glass-roof targas are cool, but have never owned one.

Why are Cabs cheaper? My guesses are :

1. 'Traditional' 911 owners want a steel roof.

2. Cheaper Insurance maybe?

3. Cheaper maintenance/warranty/ knowing you don't have a working part made of fabric that will need replacing sometime? (Cab owners please correct me if I am wrong -)

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23678

I think you maybe right, I cant find anywhere about if the roofs stop working or patrs prices !

Daniel :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23680

as per advice above - but would add - low mileage (mine came with 48k on the clock) may have problems - clutch may be needed £1000 (RS and flywheel recommended) and most definately shocks £1000

if not already done price it in to the deal and barter.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23681

New roofs are not cheap. The Plastic window is £400 pounds without fitting and I seem to remember the roof is mid £1000's without fitting. You can always call your local Porsche Parts Centre for a price guide.... this should be the most expensive price and they will be able to guide on hours needed for labour. Sometime OPC can surprise.

New shocks definately - clutch rule of thumb 60,000 +/- 10000 mls depending on driving history - check the tyres it may need those and also a 4 wheel geo and alignment - if you have new shocks it def will. 4 new tyres say £700/800 the rears last half as long as the fronts so say 8-10000mile / 16-20000miles.

Make sure the doors don't click at the door straps when opening and closing - this is expensive to fix properly.

Check the discs for bad corrosion - common.

All this can be found when (and you should have) a good PPI.

As mentioned above - when you have the findings of the PPI use them to get the price down.

Most of the answers to the questions you have can be found if you search this forum.

For servicing guide you can click here : (don't forget to add the VAT)

http://www.jzmachtech.com/html/frames/services_frameset.html

JZM are one of the best in the UK and look after my mistress (as the girlfriend calls her)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23682

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back