Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Portable Jump Start Battery Packs

Jamie Summers

Sao Paulo
Following on from the various 'flat battery' threads does anyone have any experience of these portable jump starters. My car is suffering from battery drain problems at the moment and as it lives on street and I have no access to a power source for a charger / maintainer I thought one of these might be just the job to get me going if the battery decides it doesn't want to turn the engine over. They are available from Halfords and similar, but was wondering a) What power is required to to crank a very flat 3.6l flat six ? (they all quote a cranking power rating in amps - 900 peak and 400 cranking seems to be about par). b) are these things any good anyway ? c) How much to spend ? They are anything from £30 to £500 ! (as with anything I suppose you get what you pay for, but some practical examples of what has or hasn't worked would be appreciated) Thanks, Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23281

I've got a £50 one from argos

its starts boxsters ok, i don't remember using it on a 996 or 993 but will confess it used to take 2 of them to start a BMW 328 auto

I'm pretty sure that the starter motor is the same on a boxster as a 996

Mark Pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23286

The other option is a solar powered maintainer like this

http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/gadget.html

Anyone tried one of these ? Are they complete rubbish ?.........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23289

I bought one for 30euros over here. It started the 993 on several occasions. I also have a boat which had'nt been used for ages with a flat battery, it started that without a problem. It also has a compressor ideal for pumping up tyres, inflatables (dingies not women)footballs etc. It has also got 12volt oulet mobile phones etc. Magic little tool earnt it's outlay already.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23308

I have one which i purchased for starting diesel motorhomes, it's okay on petrol engines upto 2500cc but it won't start any diesel engines at all which all have similar sized batteries to my 911.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23338

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back