Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

searching for a 996. need help.

tuck

I live on a tiny island called singapore that has very high car taxes. So I am presently considering importing my own 996 to save some money. For example, owning a used 3 yr old boxster would cost S$205k = 70k pounds. Most of you living in the UK would probably be in shock after reading this. Just to illustrate my point, here's the tax structure. OMV (open market value) is a term we use here to indicate the amount of money required to buy the car from the manufacturer + freight + Insurance + handling + misc charges. This is what we have to pay to get the car into singapore. Once the car reaches singapore, the nightmare begins.... the govt will tax me 110% of the OMV + 20% of the OMV for customs + 5% of the OMV for GST + a registration fee of S$140. And that's not the end of it. To enable me to drive the car, I would need to purchase a COE (certificate of entitlement) to 'entitle' me to drive the car for 10 years. Typically, a COE would set me back another S$15k-30k. The end state.... a brand new 996 C2 from the dealership costs S$430k = 140+k pounds. Crazy?! That's why I need HELP from anyone who can tell me where I can purchase a new 996 minus any UK taxes to keep my OMV low. The key here is to keep the OMV very very very very low. One option is particularly tempting. That is to under-declare the cost of the car, as well the other components of the OMV. However, it can't be too low as well as I would run the risk of getting into trouble with the law. The strong Euro dollar currently is not helping either.

I am also toying with the possibility of a used 996 if a new 996 without any VAT/taxes (i.e. direct from Germany) is still too costly. However, it can't be more than 3 years old (another one of those stupid government rules). Problem is a used 996 cannot escape the same taxation. Do you guys think I can find a 2002 damaged repaired 996 for around 25k pounds? This is the only way I can think of to lower the OMV.

It's RHD here.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22656

Have you looked at the Japanese market ? closer to you and also RHD...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22658

Nope. worth a try. problem is most of their websites are in japanese. still i would try. tks.

meanwhile, if you come across any, pls inform me. i am keen

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22659

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by tuck on 13 January 2005

Nope. worth a try. problem is most of their websites are in japanese. still i would try. tks.

meanwhile, if you come across any, pls inform me. i am keen
then have a look a UK sites that do grey imports direct from Japan... their sites would be in english......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22660

Tuck,

I am selling my 996 - I live in Japan. can work you out a good deal - can get the car to you within 14 days. Come to Tokyo for a test drive whenever you want!

Regards

Servo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22661

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back