Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT2

Stevie

Monza
I'm currently looking for 996 Turbo but have seen a couple of these GT2's coming into budget.

What's the pitfall here? any idea why these are depreciating faster than Turbo?

I know they are a more expensive car new and depriciation will be greater but they are way down. one in Top marques at 60 something K

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21729

I saw it too. Might be LHD. But they are coming down, there is one for 71k at paragon.

IMO, these are 2 different types of cars for 2 different types of drivers. I don't think the GT2 is anywhere near as easy to live with on a daily basis as the turbo. However, if you're into trackdays and the like, it could be the car for you.

Bear in mind turbos can easily be chipped to over and above GT2 power levels.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21730

I think Turbo is probably more up my street but the thought of a 120k Porsche for that money is appealing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21733

It is appealing. Unfortunately they have a bad rep, with the nickname ''widow maker''. It seems people who couldn't handle them got their hands on them.

Test drive both, and see what you think!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21737

Steve,

I've been thinking along similar lines re a GT2.

Seems to me they'll always be alot rarer than a 996 Turbo, and hence in a few years could fare better residually - they may always be worth >45/50k for intance, whereas the turbos will start eventually to hit 40-45k and below.

Possible downside is higher running costs. Did they all come with Ceramic brakes? Is it even possible to have/replace these without seriously deep pockets? I remember hearing new pads/ discs on these are 5k? Or is this an old wives tale? Any info?

Are they really more difficult to live with? WHy is this specifically? I can't recall the roadtests of the day now.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22601

Ceramic disks are 5k PER CORNER! So should your car need disks all round you'd be looking at a hefty bill of 20K.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22638

SHEEE-IT! TWENTY THOOOOOOOUSAND POUNTS FOR NEW BRAKE DISCS!! :eek:

Methinks that falls into the 'If you have to ask, then you can't afford it category'!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22641

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back