Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The perfect-looking 993...

Maxy M

... would have, apart from some tastefiul additions maybe, would have 'silvered' headlight interiors - like modern cars do. Car designers have made headlights real design features.

I reckon that drab, grey look of the 99s's lights are the weakest aspect of an otherwise simply brilliant design. Anyone know of any 'headlight improvement measures' available (apart from brighter bulbs)?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20731

aye..

Osram bulbs help.. then cleaning the bulbs .....but only a bit

the alterantive is a xenon (litronics) headlamp upgrade..

but the market sells them for £540+vat.... autofarm supply and fit..

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/parts/Xenon.html

so assume the kit is about £400-450 +vat

me thinks we should be a group buy..as the same kits are around for up to £300

hid_kit_contents_sm.jpg

http://www.eclipse-lights.com/

but if we get enough of us together... I'm thinking between £200 to £250 max

as we don't need bi-xenons.. after al how often do you need high beam ?

and if we can also get the same folk to fit 'em.. depending on what part of the country we are in ? then it shouldn't cost that much...

or even a group DIY session.. free fitting and everyone at the same time so it's all done correctly..er ?
http://p-car.com/diy/litronic/
!! or maybe not !

but one for 2005....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20735

If you check with a Porsche main dealer or Porsche itself

They will tell you you can only fit Litronic lights to cars with Self Levelling Suspension

The reason being you'll dazzle on coming motorists

If you check the Tequipment brochure for 996 & Boxster they list a retrofit Litronic kit but its only available for countries where self leveling suspension is standard

mark Pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20740

Good point...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20741

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 17 November 2004

If you check with a Porsche main dealer or Porsche itself

They will tell you you can only fit Litronic lights to cars with Self Levelling Suspension

The reason being you'll dazzle on coming motorists

If you check the Tequipment brochure for 996 & Boxster they list a retrofit Litronic kit but its only available for countries where self leveling suspension is standard

mark Pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk
Does that rule out all us 993 ers ?, as I was thinking, like Sundeep of doing the upgrade

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20742

Legally you need self levelling mechanism in order to have Xenon/HID lights, but I've not heard of anybody failing MOT due to lack of self levelling mechanism with after market HID conversion with modified HID bulbs with H1 base. You can do a "proper" conversion that changes the whole light unit, but you're talking lots of dosh!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20743

WARNING

Be careful with bulbs - i fitted some "uprated" 100W main beam bulbs (Yes i know they aint quite legal but if you set your lights up properly...) and they run too hot - they actually started to melt the clip retainer on the headlamp unit enough for the clips holding in the bulbs to cme off and hey presto - no ground cnnection, no lights - now changed for the halfords 50% brighter road legals and they are noticably better than the standards - almost as good as the 100w i had before the issue!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20744

self levelling issue...

well I've got a switch on the dash that adjusted the headlamp setting and headlamp washers = both are the requirement

.. so that covers that point off... I assume everyone else has the switch and may have the washers..

the issue with height is a real probem of cars where the heahlamps are higher up with softer suspension settings where the car will ride up & down too quick for the auto levelers to correct themselves.. e.g S-Class, Cayenne, etc their 'level' is in fact already high

but on our 993's its IMHO not so much an issue as we are already set so low.. and if they are set correctly there are no issues with blinding other drivers and they will be MOT complaint (adjusters & washers are needed)

as for the best aftermarket bulbs..these osram are regarded as the best, from
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

121.jpg

and as long as you clean your headlamps (inside) there will be a slight improvement...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20747

the whole point of self levelling suspension is not to dazzle on coming drivers,

the switch sundeep refers too alters the angle of the headlamps relative to the load of the car.i.e 2 or 3 passengers

self levelling is completely different. the rear suspension is different.

the mot test test headlamps when the car is stationery

Mark Pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20748

from The Department of Transport......... The situation for Gas Discharge (HID High Intensity Discharge) (commonly known as Xenon) headlamps is complex. I attach links to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which regulate the situation in the UK. Under these Regulations Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law. However you will be well aware that new vehicles have Xenon headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the Xenon headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle). For the aftermarket, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "Xenon is banned in the aftermarket" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require Xenon in the aftermarket to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply. Therefore a Xenon headlamp sold in the aftermarket should: 1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component. 2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place). 3, Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned. In practice this means: 1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory. 2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam. 3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

assuming the level is set correctly, it would be MOT compliant.. one assumes as checking the leveling system isn't IIRC a MOT check ? just to ensure the headlmap are pointing correctly

my point with the 993.. is that the boot is in the front so it is unlikely / rare for the lamp to ever be pointing up .. due to the limit of getting 'stuff' in the rear.. and it's already very low.. based on the above and done properly I see no reason not to get it done in 2005..

as I find our current poor output headlamps more of a safety risk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20753

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back