Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 permanent voltage supply

Don777

Can anyone suggest how/where I could wire my radar detector up permanently rather than use the cigarette lighter socket?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19822

I haven't done this myself. However, have a look on the p-car.com website, it shows how to hardwire a radar detector. If I recall correctly it uses the live feed to the sunroof switch in the centre console.

PP

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19823

Thanks PP, I'd completely forgotten about p-car.com

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19824

Don,

I wired mine off the back off the rear wiper switch which only goes live when the ignition is on, thus switching the detector off when I'm out of the car.

Finally the rear wiper has some use at last..... I assume your keeping up with the other topic on here which advises removing it.

Paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19867

That sounds a good idea Paul, thanks. I'll use the p-car method but use the wiper switch. It's a Speed-Cheetah detector incase anyone's interested - clips over the mirror.

I haven't seen the anti-wiper thread!! but maybe I'm pro-wiper as I use my wiper quite a lot! It must rain more here. Is it not considered very efficient, or just ugly? I reckon the main ones are next to useless.

Don

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19874

my road angel says 9v.. so does that mean the plug for the lighter converts the power down to 9v from the lighters 12v ??

so if I hard wire it directing off the cig lighter cable of 12v does that mean I will fry my road angel ?????

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20408

YES!
The power conversion is in the ciggy plug.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20409

so what do I do ? to hard wire it in..

ref my other post !!!!!

aaaarrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh

damn I was thinking it was TOO EASY ! DOH !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20411

I just finished wiring my radar detector in.

If you want 8-9 volts try the switch for the rear spoiler, mine was showing 8.5v which should do for your Angel.(both the rear wiper and sunroof use a 12v feed)

I tried using the rear wiper switch, but because mine is still fitted so when you connect the detector it closes the circuit and the wiper wipes all the time (Paul above must have removed his wiper). Instead I used the negative from the wiper and the positive from the sunroof, so it only comes on when the ignition is on.

Don

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20447

Find that very strange Don. My wiper is still there and it was a switched (by the ignition) 12v on the feed side of the switch which I connected into. The wiper also still works when I move the switch. Struggling to understand how you managed to close the circuit with the Angel, but as there are many wires behind these panels, I'm sure there are many possibilities :)

Paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20491

Hi Paul,

When I wired the detector (Speed Cheetah) into the rear wiper switch and turned on the ignition the rear wiper would wipe continously. And when I unplugged the cable into the dtector it stopped. It was definitely wired up right and check with a multi-meter so I can only think that my detector was acting as a closed switch?? but I'm no electrician, so who know's what was going on!

It works fine now with the negative feed coming from the sunroof.

Everyone's got RSR's except me!!

Don

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20492

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back