Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paint Jobs?

jh72i

Hi folks,Feel a little unworthy to be in this forum because I don't YET own a Porsche - I live in Ireland so all the tax and availability obstacles are against me! Anyway, I'll try my luck with a wee question.

I'm looking all over to find the right car for me at the right price and there are a few about but none in the colour I have dreamt about for all these years. I know this might sound stupid but this will be a one-off purchase to fullfill a (totally illogical but marriage impending crisis) dream so I'd like to get everything right.

So, the question is how successful can repaints be and how much does an excellent job cost.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18797

My take on this is 'Don't do it!' It'll cost a fortune to have it done really well plus a load of hassle. And the value of cars depends to a degree on how 'original' or 'authentic' they are. A paint job could just make buyers suspicious. But things depend on how old/used the car is.

I'd be more relaxed about colour and concentrate on choosing the right car with a good history and in good condition.

And welcome to the forum! One of the essential places for prospective 911 owners to learn etc. What sort of 911 are you after?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18798

i agree with maxy

don't think about it

its hard to find a car thats not had some paintwork, but no one wants a car thats had a colour change, it would cost a fortune to change it completely and the service book & id stickers would allways show the original colour,

mark pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18809

I hear you fellas. Thought that'd be the response. I'm looking at older cars (have to cos I don't have the money an import that on later models is an absolute killer) - 84/5/6 era so I thought perhaps that a respray might be needed anyway. But, yes of course, a colour CHANGE will always stand out at resale time - good advice that I didn't really consider enough.

Surprisingly, perhaps (after reading some posts here), my colour preference for cars of this era is grand prix white with black trim!! Red would be a second option but white+black is the dream (even though wife-to-be would rather any other colour than white!!). I don't think white on the more modern cars is nice at all though so maybe I'm letting my childhood dream take over too much.

I'm not at all knowledgeable yet about all the car specifications (only looked and drooled until recently but have decided that I need to learn a hell-of-a-lot more if I am going to find a good car and then be able to look after it) so I'm at the start of a huge learning curve. See I want a car that looks great and performs well, that can be used daily (although to be honest I live in a city so don't really use a car daily at all), that is reliable, etc. But I am only learning stuff like Motronic Fuel Injection only being available in post '84 cars - and only trusting that that is a good thing if you know what I mean!?

My real desire is a grand prix white with black trim (you know that outside black that goes beneath the door and up at the front of the rear wheel!? Jesus I love that!), black leather interior in great shape, as many extras as possible in terms of electrics, etc. Ideally convertible, Targa if I can convince myself that it won't be more trouble than i can handle, but coupe will be just fine.

Ok, you see where I'm at - right at page 1 but with a burning desire to own A Porsche asap.

Tell you how bad I have porsche-fever I have at the moment - I am seriously considering moving to England for however long it takes for me to import a much later model back here without incurring the CRAZY vehicle registration tax we have. I lived in London before and was so stupid I bought a new bleedin Golf instead of a dream not-so-new Porsche - was young and stupid (in fact I just don't know what the hell I was thinking).

Ok, I'm ranting on now. Thanks for taking the time to give some advice. Appreciate it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18812

Hi John

I think I can help you - I have a few friends in Europe who have wanted THE car in THE colour but had no joy, here in Japan there are HEAPS of Porsches! And guess what - the NUMBER ONE colour is WHITE!!!! In all its forms - I nearly bought a new 996 C2 in white with black last year, but ended up with black! I know what you mean about the white - SERIOUSLY sexy - not in Photo's but in the FLESH a different story.

I can ship you one from here, probably be a fair bit cheaper, and a lower mileage than European cars. Would you prefer LHD or RHD? I would go for LHD if I were you! In RHD the driving position is a bit uncomfortable at first - you can get used to it but I think I prefer left at least for manual cars prior to the 996.

Servo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18958

Hell of a long way to go to check that I'm not buying a bomb! But, of course, your post interests me, Servo. Do you have any sites, etc.

Shipping from Japan to Dublin has got to cost a dollar or two?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18959

You can buy from Official Porsche Dealerships in Japan and get an warranty, shipping from Japan to Dublin is not that bad - probably all up GBP 1,000

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18973

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back