Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 performance air box

I bought a new one for approx £65 inc postage. There isn't much to it, and you will find it almost exactly the same as your existing one to look at, with the exception of a load of holes drilled in it down the towards the back of the box (oh, and a shiny bit of plastic on the end). Definitely does what it says, gives a bassier sound mid range and really emphasizes the 'fizzing' sound just over 5,000 rpm. In my view its worth it, just because it acentuates the glorious sound.

If you don't want to spend the money, just take off your existing one, get a drill and drill away (you can see the areas with holes in towards the back of the box on the picture) This should give the same effect, but you won't have the shiny chrome effect bit on the end.

Very easy to fit, undo the two clips, remove the rubber sealed hose, and replace. Will take approx five mins to fit.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17353

Thanks Adom - very helpful - does it improve throttle response also?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17354

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Adom on 05 August 2004

I bought a new one for approx £65 inc postage.

I just checked with Kent OPC. Price including VAT is GBP 44.50 plus Vat (GBP 53.50). Availability is an issue though in that neither they, Porsche GB or Germany have any stock so you would waiting about 2 weeks at least. It does do what it says on the tin.

Some would suggest that Mr Topping has striped me up a treat for the cost of mine at the curry night recently. I naturally would reply;

"You're right, He has!!!!!!!" :?

That'll teach me to check the price first.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17355

deleted.jpg

Just drill big holes in your origional and save the money. Honestly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17361

Fella's

As Stevo says, take yours off and drill it. Would you honestly pay £60 or so for something with a bit of chrome on it you cannot even see most of the time? There are instructions on web-sites how to do it if you need, but basically, get a 1/2 or 3/4" drill bit and drill holes all along the back of the box (top to bottom) and you'll get exactly the same noise effect for free. It is a total waste of money - if you want I'll even take & send a photo of mine to prove it...

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17362

Thanks Andy

A photo would be helpful. Looking at the ebay picture there seems to be a lot of holes! - and before getting the drill out I would like to be sure of what I'm doing.

Out of interest - if the sound is so much better why didn't Porsche fit them as standard?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17365

Hi Wooly

Find link below - just follow the intructions there. Number and position of holes are not important, but watch what you are drilling into (the back fo the box has a few fins I think). Basically, it's very easy and you cannot go wrong.

http://www.pcarracing.homestead.com/airbox.html

Why not install it as standard?

1 - It is a bit noisier and some people don't like the noise

2 - install as standard means a) more work and b) they cannot make an aftermarket one and charge people more money for something, when if they follow the current route, they make a nice profit for a few holes... ;-)

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17367

Thanks Andy - thats a great help - I will have a go at the weekend.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17368

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back