Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High mileage 996?

martynb

What's the feeling in here about high miles 996's - if you consider 95000 high for a Porsche that is?

I've been offered a really clean 1 owner c2 and to be honest I wouldn't normally look at a car with these miles, but it drives just as well as a 30,000 I've looked at and doesn't look tatty at all.

I've read the threads about the engine's letting go on these but I'm kind of hoping that if it had whatever the fault is which causes it then it would have become apparent by now?

It has got mega service history starting from when it hit the UK

Any advice please chaps?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16955

Wouldn't bother me at the right price with full history but bear in mind that when you sell it it will be over that 100,000 mile barrier which does put alot of people off.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16957

You are correct about the 100,000 mile barrier and if I'm honest it does put me off a bit.

I'm not too worried about paying more to get one with lower miles, it is just the history and condition which are making me seriously consider it. Dealer is asking £29,000

If the worst happened can anyone advise how much it would be to replace the engine? I've seen a figure of £10,000 mentioned, is that generally OPC and fitted or just to supply (gulp)

Thanks for any advice

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16972

Porsche Reading gave me a written quote of £14,000 for a non-Turbo engine fitted, that was based on it blowing up and not being covered by Warranty...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16979

Lots of people that buy 996s are not Porsche enthusiasts and look at their potential new 996 as they would any other car, so mileage matters. Add to that the fact that the 996 is not a very old car so people do not expect a high mileage. What's more, the 996 is not generally considered to be a great 911 and high milers will suffer in terms of residuals more than say a 993. Watch out as 997 starts rolling out, 996 prices may well fall even further!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16994

I have a 996 C4 2002 MY with 63000 Miles and have got no problems with the car apart from a slight RMS leak. seems to be the cars that have got very low milage taht seem to be having the engine failures, I have had the car 6 months without any problems at all . The guy that had the car before me just flew up the motor way all day every day , so in my opinion the engine is just about bedded in.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16995

Thanks for all the advice guys - I have also noted that a lot of the blown engines seem to have been low mileage examples which kind of turns traditional wisdom on it's head doesn't it?

I actually prefer the 993 to be honest but for the kind of daily driving I am doing I have to say that I think the 996 is a more sensible option for me having driven a few examples of both models.

The whole rms problem is a concern though, especially when there doesn't seem to be a solution to it and I could avoid it completely simply by not getting a 996

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16997

Is this the car on Ebay? Looks expensive for the miles - trade 996 prices for 40-50,000 milers are about £29K

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17006

It isn't on e-bay as far as i know but thanks for the heads up re the price.

I didn't think it was too bad and no-one had commented on that aspect but a little more digging around has shown me that I could shave lots of miles for that kind of cash.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17012

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back