Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 kit with no rear spoiler?

David Winch

This post is a little late as after I slid my 996 out of a roundabout and into a crash barrier (at only 34mph!, watch that new rain after 6 sunny days) I decided to make it look a little fatter with some GT3 cosmetics. However, I elected not to have the rear spoiler fitted (not a fan of it on normal carrera's), but just have the front bumper and sides.

Will this mess with the aerodynamics? I read that it might and now have the fear. As I said its a little late now as i pick it up at the w/e, but just curious...

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16890

My guess is that without the rear spoiler and the correct downforce balancing the front you will pretty soon find another barrier to reverse into at high speed.

The rear spoiler provides downforce (=grip) and Porsche will have wind tunnel developed the whole aerodynamics of the car - as a complete set!

Be very afraid....

I wouldn't ride in it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16898

I would by instinct have agreed with Stevo, you souldn't have the front spoiler without the rear spoiler on any aerodynamic body kit. However one of the guys I work with has a 1999 C2 with the GT3 body kit but with the normal electric spoiler and has had no problems with high speed stability even at speeds of 150mph+.

Based on this experience and in the UK it's hard to get up to speeds where the aerodynamics of any body kit come into major effect, I wouldn't worry. Your probably more at risk from those wet roads!

Paul D (Sold the GT3, now driving a '04 Range Rover)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16899

I wanted to do exactly the same thing after a nudge in my 996 but the Porsche bodyshop refused to fit the kit without the rear spoiler for aerodynamic reasons so I had the full kit fitted. But I just can't get used to the aesthetics of that great big wing on the back. My guess is that another non GT3 and less obtrusive rear wing could be used to the same effect but without being so "in ya face." The other thing that concerned me was that as the original Porsche part was £5000 I opted for a replica rear wing but this does not feature the cooling fan of the original Carrera 2 assembly. Anyone have any ideas if thats a problem?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16905

Paragon are doing the work for me, as I bought the car from there and have had nothing but stellar service from them since. They also run a cup team so I had confidence when they didn't raise the issue before the work. I just had a chat and they said unless you're driving 150+ then the difference will be minimal and on track days the normal spoiler should assist enough. I didn't get over 126 at castle coombe so not overly concerned now. Fear has subsided.

So Peter, maybe you can take that spoiler off the back now, although not if you need to give stevo a lift anywhere :wink:
. Not sure about the fan, maybe ask in a seperate post..

Thanks for all the comments, its appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16907

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back