Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Check Engine light on

C4S-993

I recently purchased a '96 993 where I am the 3rd owner. I had a '96 C4
I bought new in '96 and drove for ~20k miles with no problems. After a
couple thousand miles the "check engine" light came on in this "new" car at appx. 39k miles. I took it to the shop and it was diagnosed with a "secondary air system" problem. After checking all of the easy things the folks at the garage told me that the only thing they could do was to pull the engine and intake system off to find the problem, which is "most likely" worn valve guides. There is nothing really wrong with the car, but it won't pass a smog test the next time I need one. It doesn't seem to be using oil which makes me curious as to why this diagnosis seems suspicious. After talking with several other Porsche shops about the problem they all agree that it is probably the same thing, and is a "flaw" with the '95-'98 993 engines. Has anyone ever heard of this ? Why does it happen with such low mileage ? I thought Porsche used quality parts ! What else is a "known problem area" for the 993s ? Thanks for any input/advice !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16700

This is a common fault with US spec cars, but is not a problem in UK/Europe, so not too much knowledge on this site.

Best source of info for you would be
www.rennlist.com

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16713

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back