Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

early 996: sports seats and suspension

Paul Strong

The 40 year anniversary supplement from January's GT Pure Porsche mag describes the 996 'sports pack' as including stiffer springs (also 10mm lower than std), revised dampers, anti-roll bars, traction control system and sports seats.

Could someone please tell me the difference between the standard seats and the sports seats? Are the sports seats more hugging? Are both seats fully adjustable for height and for back angle? (I'm 6'7" tall so the lower they go the better.) Do both types have side-airbags in them?

Also, does anyone happen to know of the different spring rates of the standard, 10mm and 30mm lower suspension variants available for the early 996? And are the -10 and -30mm springs conical ones like the standard ones (ie progressive rate)? I'd like to get an idea of how extreme the -30mm setup is compared to the others as I figure it will be difficult to find an example of such a car to drive to find out for myself. It sounds like the -10mm package would be best, but I want to make sure I get the right car for me.

Many thanks for your help!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12628

6'7", have you tried sitting in a 996? I think GT3 seats may be your only option, as they are lower to the ground. With normal sports seats, you wont have enough room.

30mm, X74 as it is called, was not available for earlier 996s, you'd have to do a retrofit. But there are plenty of early 996s with the ''sports pack'' with -10mm suspension, 18 inch wheels and sports seats(which I fear you would have to swap out for GT3 seats).

Hope this helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12631

At my height the first thing I do when considering a car is go and sit in one! I had to cross an NSX off my list because it was too tight all round. Fortunately the 996 is pretty roomy as cars go for me, although I wouldn't say no to a bit more legroom around the steering wheel -- I've never found a car where I could drive with my legs under the steering wheel. I sat in a few early 996s at an OPC and I'd assumed they all had standard seats (they were fully electrically adjustable and not terribly figure hugging).

What are the main differences between the standard and sports seats?

Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12645

You could get a smaller steering wheel like a techart to solve that problem. To be honest the 996 sports seats(which are electrically adjustable I think) don't really give that much more support, but they do look cool. GT3 seats however are very body hugging. I'll find pics of each.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12656

Another Berkshire person. Maidenhead....watch out for CT993!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12657

Thanks Noony, pics would be very useful.

I changed the steering wheel of my old mk1 MR2 to a small removeable one but whenever I've asked places about doing the same with modern air-bagged vehicles they don't want to touch it because of the explosives in there. With the speed of a 996 I think I'd prefer to be a called a wuss and stick with an airbag in case it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

I'll have to check out the seats of a GT3 that's always parked in a certain place near me. I assume they have fixed backs so if they don't fit your preferred angle of recline you're screwed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12659

Ahhhhh annoying I'll find another one:

GT3:
interieur.jpg

You should ask Sean Dudding about the adjustability of them

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12661

Sorry I forgot HTML doesnt work on this site :evil:

Standard+sport comparison:
sitze_foto3.jpg

Made a real pigs ear of that

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12662

Thanks Noony. Good idea to look at some pics. I found some good ones at a LA Porsche scrapyard website:

Sports seats:

00%20996%20sport%20seats%202%20.JPG

Standard seats:

Porsche_Seats_Blk_1.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12689

The sports seat do offer a good amount of extra shoulder support compared to the normal seats, however the seat base and seated hight are the same for both. As Noony suggests the GT3 seats can be installed much lower in the car and would provide you with valuable extra headroom. I've had the GT3 seats in my last 4 Porsches and wouldn't have any other type, the driving position and support are perfect for me, but you would have to drive a car with them before buying a set as they are quite a tight fit and don't suit everyone.

I don't know about the Techart steering wheel, but Gemballa do a smaller steering wheel with air bag for the 996/ Boxster which would help with leg room.

Paul D 2004 GT3 & 1983 930

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12699

Hi Paul

I have had all 3 types of seats in modern Porsches. I liked the Sport seats, but they don't offer any more support than the standard seats, look nicer though.

The GT3 Seats are fantastic, once you are in you aren't going anywhere. They also sit a lot lower in the car. If your near west london you can try mine.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12702

Sounds like the GT3 seats are definitely worth considering. The seats in my current car (Subaru Impreza) are fairly hugging and fit me well so as long as you don't have to have <10% body fat I should be OK.

Can anyone give me an idea of how cheaply I could get a set of GT3 seats, and the best way to source them? There's not likely to be many GT3s in the breakers yard.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12763

Last week I had a drive in a 996 with regular seats and sat in another one with the sports seats. I found that because of my height (I suppose) my broad shoulders rest firmly on the "ears" of the sports seats so that my spine doesn't touch the seat back.

Just my luck, today when I found a C4 with a good colour scheme and spec at a reasonable price, it turns out to have sport seats. The seller didn't know which he had until I emailed the above pics for him to compare to those in his car.

I know this is a longshot, but I don't suppose there's anyone out there who'd like to swap their pair of boxster red regular seats for a pair of red sports seats?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13203

Do you mind green?

Not sure if anyone on here's got red. Black would look ok, as would red in a black interior. You never know somebody may be up for it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13224

Yeah I could have the first harlequin-style interior!

Black would be OK, but I'd prefer to keep it factory, as I guess would future owners.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13225

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back