Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bulbs - A possible 993 solution

Just changed mine (dipped beam) to Osram Silver Star good improvement, cleaning the inside of the lenses helped too. Now for the high beam, looks a bit tricker getting at the retaining clip.

Re Power Plug, yes I had that problem on the offside, took it out re-seated it now seems fine.

Cheap and simple upgrade worth every penny.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31204

I need to replace my bulbs and after doing a search came up with the above thread. I went on to the mentioned website and came up with the following;

Dipped Beam
Product Name Type Info Price
All Season H1 14.50 (per pair)
Cool Blue H1 19.45 (per pair)
Silver Star H1 18.45 (per pair)
Standard H1 9.96 (per pair)
Super H1 13.45 (per pair)

Now its six months on and you have all had a chance to try out the different variants would you mind sharing your thoughts and results.
Maybe this could be a good topic for total 911 to explore

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43940

I've got Osram Silverstars. A bit better than what was in there before, but they ain't no xenons...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43946

I went the popular / recommended route of Osram silverstar, dip & main beam.

Cleaned the headlamp inside.

The quality went from really crap to crap. I slight improvement, but not a biggy.

Luckily most of my journeys are in well lit roads.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43950

I came across the perfect solution the other night by accident.
I simply drove around on main beam. OK so the negative is that you get flashed at a bit (but no more than I flash at hatchbacks with one working dipped headlight) and the battery takes a pounding (not good with a standard 993 AAA battery setup) - but judicious use of the little wheely adjuster for up and down adjustment can make this a really viable alternative to a costly Xenon upgrade.
The other advantage is the fact that night journeys are no longer punctuated with that pain in the ass dip/main/dip switch activation which I think is a real concentration detractor - I mean, well you need to keep your eyes on the road especially now you can see where you're going at a higher velocity.
For realy dark bits I switch on the fog lights front and back because it has two advantages - it makes me look like a reps car from the front and a blue rinse Astra or Corsa from the back with all the advantages that that can bring.
I am thinking that to complete the transformation for the rest of the winter months I'll invest in those blue windscreen washer lights and a couple of under body thingy funny colour lights that make cruising such a cool thing - not forgetting to get a set of transparent rear light clusters (do they do those for 993's?).

Anybody know where to get those illuminated valve caps for the tyres at a discount?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43958

Stevo you're growing younger by the day, you'll be starting your YTS soon! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44004

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 25 January 2006
Stevo you're growing younger by the day, you'll be starting your YTS soon! :D

Mick,
Showing your age, YTS endend over a decade ago, the new scheme is called
Incapacity Benefit :twisted:

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44007

New Threads